Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 ZJ, could someone tell me how to redrill the front track bar and the best way to utilize a rear track bar bracket without it breaking. Can you keep your stock bars for both of these. Also what company has the most reasonably priced coil springs for a 3" lift.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: galian_beast on 2002-03-06 23:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would stay away from the brackets on the rear and not redrill the front. I would take the trackbar to a shop and have them lenghen it. For a 3 inch spring I think it is an 1/8 of a inch. Don't mark my words on that. I would look into a front to rear swap. Buy new front springs from rubicon express and move the front to the rear for about 4 to 4.5 inches of lift. If you want 3 look into Teraflex or Rubicon Express springs they range at about 150 to 200 for 2.

-chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip, but if I were to buy new 3" coils in the front and put the front stock ones in the back, wouldn't my ass end be hanging lower?

·
Registered
40 Posts
no. the stock front springs are stronger than the stock rear to support the engine weight.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Redrilling the front is no big deal. Most people use 3/4" to the right as a measurment. Be sure to use the correct size drill bit and it needs to be drilled straight!
The rear bar you either use the brackect, make your bar adjustable, or buy an adjustable.
A F>R swap is one of the least expensive ways of lifting. Though eventually most people replace almost all of the stock components anyway. The front springs are longer and have a higher spring rate which will yield more lift in the back. For non UC springs, expect about 3-3.5" of lift in the back. Buy some RE 3.5" fronts and you're golden.
Nathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts