Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to jump from my 2" BB to 3.5" RE all 4 coils, or F>R swap w/ RE coils.

The biggest problem I am having is what to do w/ the trackbars.

I don't have access to a welder or know of any good welding shops, so making an adjustable trackbar is out.

I REALLY like the JKS bars, but can't seem to justify the $330 cost for both the front and rear bars.

I do have access to a press at work and I could press some of the bends out of them, but how do I calculate how much bend to press out?

I could just go the real cheap route and redrill the front and get a bracket for the rear, but I am really nervous about the rear bracket failing which is highly likely.

I think my current best option is redrill the front and get the JKS rear bar.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
John,

Re-drilling the front is certainly a viable option - many have done it.

As for the back, have you seen what Mike Meyers did with his? There's a write up on JU in one of the archive, but essentially, he cut it in two (hack saw,) threaded the cut ends (die) and added an adjusting sleeve. I think his total cost (minus the replacement bar in case the plan failed,) was ten or twenty dollars. He now has an adjustable rear track bar.

Jay

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JayH on 2002-02-04 18:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay, thanks. I thought Mike's homebrew bar required welding :D

I think that is the route I'll go for that. Especially since I can borrow the tap from work, so all I have to buy is the coupler and nuts!

E

·
0 Posts
John,

I took the easy out and bought an ORGS bar in back. $125 if I recall. Mike's version would certainly be cheaper.

When you redrill the front start small and use the absolute smallest bit that allows the bolt to pass through. It'll be smaller than the stock hole. There's enough room for another hole but the more metal the better, and the tighter it is the less chance it'll oval. Sorry, I was rushing and didn't record the bit size.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
John,

I thought about drilling the front bracket and a home made bar in the rear, (and there's nothing wrong with that approach), but went with the RE adjustable in front and Rusty's adjustable in the rear. Both are high quality, IMO, and it was easy to center the axles.

After fabbing stuff for race cars for many years (due to lack of funds or parts availability), I just don't enjoy it as much any longer when manufactured parts are readily available and not that expensive. Give kolak a shout for the price on an RE bar.

gary

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ncal zj on 2002-02-06 00:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
566 Posts
another option is to take the bar out, put it in a press and press down and heat it up with a torch while pressing. I did this and mine aren't off by that much at 5" lift.
-Nate
edit: I didn't really read your post. I pressed for a while then held it up, then pressed a little more and got it close then figured that'd do!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CannonBall on 2002-02-07 23:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Nate,
where did you do this at? I am close to Boulder, is there a place that can do it for me??
Sam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Colt45auto on 2002-02-09 11:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone had the a rear trackbar bracket fail? I just put on one from Tomken. It seems to be stout to me. Even has a bracket that bolts to the pumkink for added support. I have redrilled the front for now but plan on going with the adjustable soon. Anyone have much experience with Tomken? I have their lower adj contol arms for the rear as well. No one has said much about them. They even make a 4.25" kit.

G

·
0 Posts
at 3.5" redrilling for the front trackbar should align the axle just fine. i am at close to 5" of lift courtesy of RE 4.5" kit.
it came with an adjustable front trackbar, but in the rear i have the stock track bar and the rear bracket. aside from occasionally contacting my tailpipe the rear bracket and stock track bar work just fine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
On 2002-02-09 22:11, JaredB wrote:
Has anyone had the a rear trackbar bracket fail? I just put on one from Tomken. It seems to be stout to me.
Yes!! Don't know anything about the Tomken, but the RE bracket I have started to fail. I just welded it on to the original and I've had no problems since. I would imagine that any extended bracket would begin to fatigue and fail. There is a tremendous amount of stress placed on them when you are off-road.

David

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I solved this dilema. Had to buy a 12ton press to do some work on my Nissan, so I'll use it to press the bends out of my stock trackbars!

·
Registered
414 Posts
John, I'll make one for you if you want one. I have to go to the junkyard tomorrow, and I'll pick up a rear bar for $30. I'll charge you for the parts, and take your stock one when it's all said and done.

If you want to give me something for my time, fine, if not whatever. It is really an easy deal.

I'll be heading down that way in a week or two to look for housing, and I can meet you somewhere.

Also, talk to Nate B. He did a homebrew of his own.

Shoot me an e-mail.

Mike,

·
Registered
186 Posts
John-
Nathan's trackbar solution is on NAGCA's Grand Tech Page. It is the first article of the second section on the page.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts