Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a strange infatuation with the SRT8. There is just something sexy about them. Lets see what you got and what you've done to it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are one or two of them around here. One is black like the pic above, local guy, see it all the time. Nice looking!

·
Registered
270 Posts
i think they are awesome. 425 hp in a grand!! i've only seen 1 at the dealership. i want that hemi in my zj!

·
Registered
515 Posts
there is a guy that drives one at my gym. i'll steal some pics next time i see it in the lot lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbie here, mine is an 07. Tinted taillights and front corners, clear bra everywhere, Flowmaster 50 series, and that's it for now. Upgrades are pricey for this bad boy, but I love it ( not the MPG this past summer tho:)) The hemi would be sweet in my ZJ, but I don't think I'd be able to keep it cool:p

madtrixter

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
drop an extra $27,900 dollars on it and get the Hennessey package ;) "The SRT600 is 0.8 second quicker to 60 mph and a second quicker through the quarter than the 420-hp Jeep. Even more impressive is that it's 8.4 seconds quicker to 130 mph. "

I think it's under 70k but there's also a $1200 Torque converter upgrade. I'm sure everyones already read up on this version though..

Car and Driver

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, well, well.

How things have changed around here.

Now there is a SRT-8 forum?

I feel like I have come home!!! Although, it is a little late, the Jeep SRT-8 is getting long in the tooth and is not nearly as cool as it was, say 3 years ago. But then again, from what I remember, most of the Jeep enthusiast sites (especially those that have the hardcore bad-arses in them) specialize in the Jeeps they can afford, typically one or two generations old. Maybe it is time to see more SRT-8s appear.

I've had my SRT-8 since January 2006, and have 50,000 miles on her. Inferno Red is the color I chose, which was discontinued after the first year. Subsequent years have a darker red color, which unfortunately to my eye looks like a rusty brick color. Personally, I would have gone for the silver one, but had a chance to grab the first SRT-8 in Dallas way back in January 2006, so I traded my reserved silver unit for the Inferno Red unit that some poor bastard couldn't finance.

So after 50,000 miles, what are my impressions of the SRT-8? Ok, here goes. The power off the line is still about the best you're going to get. It even makes the GT-R seem a little weak. My maximum G-force I have personally measured is 1.15g off the line. My best 0-60 time is 4.3 seconds (measured at the track), and the fastest I have driven her is about 130 mph. (Just once). However, after taking delivery of my silver GT-R 3 months ago, I am afraid that the Jeep has very quickly lost its hold over me. The handling, although good for a Jeep, really sucks compared to any real sports sedan or car. The interior is nasty, with its hard cheap plastics and cheesy logos. And the runflat tyres.... are nail magnets: I am up to 8 flat tyres since owning this car, and that, my friends (and enemies) is a lot!

Issues with my SRT-8 after more than three years of ownership? Let's list them:

1. Average MPG over three years with mixed highway/city driving is 12.8

2. I had to replace the TCM under warranty: the jeep would stall during high acceleration starts, and sometimes would refuse to change gears.

3. when I got the Jeep, it had no defrost function. When I complained, they kept it for 3 days and said that the "defrost gear" was missing. Got it back, defrost was working, but since then the fan has been whistling at me.

4. The backup radar has mulfunctioned twice.

5. The GPS stopped working after 2 years. I was forced to buy a new DVD (at $200) to fix it. I am VERY suspicious about this.

6. Oil changes cost about $100 a pop. (Done at the dealership, of course, because I am not a grease baboon).

7. Brakes are insanely expensive to maintain, and pads don't seem to last longer than 20,000 miles.

8. The stock rims and tyres are extremely expensive. And non-rotatable. And they wear out quickly, have crappy grip, and suck in the snow and ice.

9. And lastly, there are more of these beasts than you realize out there, and the resale has not kept up with the initial hype. Which is why I still have mine, due to the fact I was only offered $18k on a trade for a new M3. At that price, after paying $46k three years ago, I'll keep it. It is still the most insane acceleration off the line that you can get, and it holds lots of groceries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
drop an extra $27,900 dollars on it and get the Hennessey package ;) "The SRT600 is 0.8 second quicker to 60 mph and a second quicker through the quarter than the 420-hp Jeep. Even more impressive is that it's 8.4 seconds quicker to 130 mph. "

I think it's under 70k but there's also a $1200 Torque converter upgrade. I'm sure everyones already read up on this version though..

Car and Driver
Careful about the Hennessey package. Do a google search on "Hennessey" and "crook" and you will see what I mean. John Hennessey is a dirt bag.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I saw one of these at a trailer factoryin town one time. When they first came out, I thought they were a little ugly. Now that I know what they are, they are pretty cool. Never judge a book by its cover. :D

So those things have to be 4X4's right. How well do they do in snow. If I had one, I think I would take the body kit off and put WK rims on it so it would be better for back country roads. Is the towing capacity still 7000lbs.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I saw one of these at a trailer factoryin town one time. When they first came out, I thought they were a little ugly. Now that I know what they are, they are pretty cool. Never judge a book by its cover. :D

So those things have to be 4X4's right. How well do they do in snow. If I had one, I think I would take the body kit off and put WK rims on it so it would be better for back country roads. Is the towing capacity still 7000lbs.
A tow package isn't offered on these. The dual exhaust setup comes out right where the tow package would normally go.

They really aren't made for the off road or back country.

·
Registered
8 Posts

The SRT-8 is not a 4x4, it is more like an AWD sedan or SUV. It is designed mostly for speed off the line, with only 2% of power to the front wheels typically, although it can shift more. It has a dynamic stability control system that uses the ABS sensors and brakes to distribute torque, just like a car. The diffs are open.

So what I am trying to say is that it handles very similar to any other modern vehicle with stability control as far as handling in the snow and ice go. From my personal experience: I am not blown away by its performance in the rain or snow. It has good strong acceleration even in slippery conditions, but the handling etc, really is pretty poor in bad conditions. Its extreme power can overwhelm the stability control. On icy days in Dallas (couple of days a year), all of my other cars handle better, even the 2wd ones. I do have the stock rubber on.

In other words, it is a disgrace of a Jeep. ;)

And yes, as said before, it can't tow shite.

·
Registered
270 Posts
they are a whole different can of worms. a street performance jeep. i think they are great. but they just can't be compared to the grands that we are used to. i've only seen 1 at the dealership. i'd love to take 1 on a test drive or down a drag strip. but don't get me wrong, i also love to get up a hillclimb in my zj.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The SRT-8 is not a 4x4, it is more like an AWD sedan or SUV. It is designed mostly for speed off the line, with only 2% of power to the front wheels typically, although it can shift more. It has a dynamic stability control system that uses the ABS sensors and brakes to distribute torque, just like a car. The diffs are open.

So what I am trying to say is that it handles very similar to any other modern vehicle with stability control as far as handling in the snow and ice go. From my personal experience: I am not blown away by its performance in the rain or snow. It has good strong acceleration even in slippery conditions, but the handling etc, really is pretty poor in bad conditions. Its extreme power can overwhelm the stability control. On icy days in Dallas (couple of days a year), all of my other cars handle better, even the 2wd ones. I do have the stock rubber on.

In other words, it is a disgrace of a Jeep. ;)

And yes, as said before, it can't tow shite.
I tend to agree. My wife has a 2005 4Runner with AWD, Vehicle Stability Control and the 4.7 iForce V8 (granted no where near as much power as the SRT8 but still more than enough). I drove it in the last snow storm we had and didn't like the way it handled at all. The one time I got the tail loose, the VSC seemed to almost lock me out and try to correct the skid itself. I don't like any car that tries to "outdrive" me.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather drive my old S-10 pickup with the dreaded G80 locker in the snow/ice.

·
Registered
379 Posts
whats the g80 locker? lol similar to lincoln lockers or is it a lunch box?
It's a Eaton "locker" that GM uses, also none as a Gov-Lock. Unlike most automatic lockers that are locked except when going around corners, the G80 is unlocked until one wheel is spinning roughly 100rpms faster than the other at which point a set of flyweights cause a clutch pack to "lock" the differential. Besides being failure prone (read virtually explodes - see bottom picture), it tends to lock suddenly. On snow and ice, it can send you spinning around in circles very quickly. I've had it happen a couple of times in the snow where I'm going around a corner, the inside wheel starts to spin and then BANG, it locks up and around comes the back end. No fun. First time it happened, I thought someone rear ended me. Not one of GM's (or Eaton's?) better ideas in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts