Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HHMMM, Looks like they should work, anyone???? I'm trying to get rid of that nasty angle, with out going long arms.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be using rustys fixed arms, the ones for the 6.5" xj lift. Yes, these are giong on a ZJ. I prefer the non adjustable ones. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I haven't researched it myself, but from what I understand of thre XJ front suspension vs. the ZJ front suspension, I would be willing to bet they would work. I personally would never use them, but they should fit.

Jay

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OKay, I think they will work. Now, where is the cheapest place to buy them?? At RE, I think they were 200 or so.

·
Registered
605 Posts
There was something posted about this on the XJ forum at JU a while back. The consensus there was that they would not fit. But I don't see and can't remember why they would'nt. We have a ZJ and an XJ, I'm sure they can be made to fit with some slight modification. Go for it if they don't fit you could always sell them to me for real cheap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will purchase them as soon as I sell some stuff. If they don't work, there all yours cherokeekid...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have both the zj and xj. they look very similar, but I would call rusty's off road and ask. He should know, and I think he sales them also.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called RE and they said NO Way, that sucks, oh well, thanks for helping me out everyone.
Sam

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Did they say why?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I say order them anyways!!! The reason they don't work could be minor. If you were the first to do it then everyone would think you are really cool. If they did'nt work then you could sell them to me really cheap. Everyone comes out a winner!!!

On a more serious note is your ride all that bad? My wifes ZJ is at 5-6" with the stock track bar and some rancho arms it still rides twice as nice as my XJ at 6.5"

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They said there is something that will not work, the guy couldent even explain what it is. He just said it will not work, then he told me to call jeeptoys. com. HAA, is that funny or what, he tells me to call a different store to find out why it won't work on a ZJ. Yes, this is the guy at Rubicon Express Tech service-- This is good to know!!!
as far as my jeeps ride,
It's perty good at 6", I have the 6" XJ RR coils and a 1" tera spacer on top. Better than a 95 YJ, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The XJs have a caster adjustment at the body side of the LCAs, not the axle side. That is the first difference.

Obviously, the mount on the body side is differnt than the ZJ mount, so the drop bracket likely won't bolt up. Perhaps with some modifications - I dunno.

You could probably still use your cam bolts on the axle side for some caster adjustment, but may find it isn't enough. Thus, adjustables may be preferred.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So has anyone actually tried this out yet? Cherokeekid, I am real close to getting them and trying them out. Are you still interested in them if we can't make them work? Anyone have any new info on this?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I woke up last night wondering this same thing. It would be perfect for a 4.5" lift. I also have a zj and xj. I thought that I had heard somewhere to watch out for the width. The control arm bushing on one won't fit into the bracket of the other. I do not know this for sure and it seems to me I was "bench racing" with someone about using different control arms etc. I would love to find out for sure though.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was just replacing the arms on my wifes ZJ, I happen to have come across some Tm Drop brackets, and stuffed on in while I was changing the arms out. Took some pictures but the film isn't developed yet. I cannot see why these would'nt work. I did't attach the L bracket and this could be the problem. If someone had decent fab skills they could make these work as the main unit already fits into the factory control arm pockets.

I'm thinking I will just fab my own braces. I wish I could find someone around here with these things so I could really check them out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So where can I get those drop down brackets for the best price? I really think I'm going to give it a go.

·
Registered
688 Posts
BTW, they will work, the only thing that wont work is the Re-inforcement brackets that RE offers for the XJ due to the offset of the brackets.

These drop down brackets are a good alternative to a long arm setup, will definitely improve the ride and give you alot more wheel travel due to the reduced angle, which keeps the arms from hitting the shock perches on droop.

I am the guy that RE told you to contact, you can e-mail me at [email protected]

I do alot of this stuff for RE so they always send me the "problem stuff"..LOL...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Papromike,
Can you explain some more on the brackets. What do you mean about the re-inforcement brackets not working? How are they going to work without these? I would love to try and make these work!
-Sam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts