Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

KING Coilover Conversion for my 2003 JGC

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TiTaN 1 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been building my 2003 GC for 2 years now. I had it for a year, and then put a 6 inch Clayton lift on it - sort of. I used a Rough Country long Arm kit with Clayton 6 inch springs and Bilstein shocks. I ran Rubicon wheels with 285-70-17 BFG All Terrains, and 2 inch wheel spacers.

I built a winch bumper, and added an ENGO 10,000 lb winch. The front end sagged almost 2 inches, so I had to add a 2 inch spring spacer to level everything back out.

I ended up trading some stuff for a set of axles off a 2007 JK Wrangler - a Dana 30 high pinion front axle WITH AN ARB and 4.88 gears, and a Dana 44 rear axle (no more aluminum Grand Cherokee crap). I upgraded the rear axle with a truss and Dana Pro Rock 44 forged axles and another ARB with 4.88 gears.

I also rebuilt the front axle with Synergy ball joints, 1 ton tie rod and drag link, REID Racing Knuckles, and Ten Factory forged axle shafts. I have the front ARTEC truss, but I haven't put it on yet.

I modified all the Rough Country control arms by cutting off the axle end (rubber bushings), and welding in threaded inserts with Johnny Joints.

The rear Y link was pitched, and I fabbed up new triangulated four link upper arms with Johnny Joints. I kept the rear Clayton springs and Bilstein shocks.

The NV242 transfercase was rebuilt (seals and bearings), and the main shaft was cut and resplined by Tom Woods for a SYE. I an running new Tom Woods shafts front and rear.

The rear axle swap wasn't too much of a problem - neither was the front axle, BUT the spring perches on the JK front axle are almost 2 inches shorter than the WJ perches. I've already got a 2 inch spring spacer and 6 inch springs, and there isn't any other options - except COILOVERS!

So I'm documenting the coilover swap. It looks pretty EASY!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Bottom coilover mount

I cut off the stock spring and shock mounts and ground everything smooth.

I'm using RUFFSTUFF Specialties 1.50 inch shock mounts. Yes, I have to cut and grind the rest of the original mounts off.

I am building new upper coilover mounts that will bolt into where the stock coil spring was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.