Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year at Grand Slam West I noticed Kevin from Kevins Offroad sporting some pretty fancy seats in his new-to-him WJ. In the past, he always complained about the comfort level of the factory ZJ seats and how they made his legs fall asleep on long drives. He decided to be proactive about the situation and sought out a seat manufacturer that would build a seat for his specific application.

Now, I've never had the same problems with circulation like Kevin, but I have NEVER liked the feel of my factory leather seats. Sitting on long stretches of highway was about the only time I didn't loath the leather. Off road I would slide around on them if the vehicle pitched or I came around a corner a little hot. In the winter they were like the touch of death on your body, and the heated feature had long since stopped working in my 98. In the summer, if you left the window down and the sun on the seat for a few minutes, you could cook bacon on them. I happen to love bacon, I just don't like turning my *** into bacon. Last, I have a disproportionately long torso, and with the sunroof options I was basically riding with my giant dome against the head liner. Not idea.

When Kevin told me he was going to produce these seats for his customers, I had to be on the first list. His introductory offer over the 4th of July was a good enough price for a pair of seats and bolt in brackets that I jumped on it.

After a couple production hickups which were very clearly communicated by the team at KOR, my seats arrived in primo shape. I got right to it..

The install is pretty straight forward. To remove the factory seats you must remove 4 bolts. 2 in front and 2 in back. I used a 13mm because it didn't require me to walk to the garage again, but they could be 1/2".

Front bolts

Back

Unplug the harness from the seat and carefully lift it out

Kevins seats come with the adapter brackets already mounted, so all you have to do is transfer the factory power seat sliders and their associated gadgetry over to the new seat. This is easy to do with an open end wrench and/or a socket in the 13mm flavor (again, 1/2" might do as well)

comparison

You'll need to remove the side plastic fascia that holds power seat controls (unless you don't have them). Unscrew the power seat controls. You'll also need to pop a relay off of the factory seat (black gizmo right of center in this picture)

You will also need to clip the metal staple holding the facotry seat covering to the back in order to unplug three other harnesses...

harnesses before being liberated

harnesses post liberation

If you have memory seats, you'll also need to unscrew the thin metal bracket that holds the memory seat module to the seat. This will have to be slightly relocated with the new seat installation

Here is the finished assembly and you can see where I stuck the power seat module

Installation is the reverse of extraction. Carefully place the seat in position, plug in the harness, and replace the 4 bolts.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Overall, installation is pretty easy. I'm borderline mechanically inept, and this was no problem for me. A couple things to note:

I broke a seat bolt on the passenger side. I would recommend being less manly with them, and/or soaking the stupid things in PB Blaster the night before. All of the road grime and water has a tendency to freeze up those bolts, especially if they have never been removed.

The seatbelts are attached to the factory rails, so they transferred over with the rest of the assembly.

There was a slight interference with the factory rails and the seats, but once you tightened it down it all seemed to align better and it ended up being a non-issue.

I ended up just tucking the random useless plugs and relays up above the seat rails. I didn't secure them in any fancy way and I haven't noticed them rattling or moving around at all. A more "clean" installation could be done with more wire ties and less indifference.

Now how do they feel? They feel great. On the long highway trips they are about the same as the leather seats, and honestly the well broken in factory seats were softer so in some ways they were a little better for sitting still for hours.

Offroad these seats are simply great. I much prefer the chosen materials of these vs. leather and you don't slide around on them nearly as much. The shape is also a little more dished out, so it cups your money maker a little better which also prevents you from moving around as much. They also sit about an inch lower so my planetoid of a head doesn't hit the ceiling, and they also open up a little more leg-room for the rear seats.

Overall a great addition. They look great, they are comfortable, and chances are that by now your 7-18 year old ZJ or WJ seats aren't exactly what they used to be. Unless you need adjustable lumbar support or a movable seat back, I would highly recommend these seats.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
So I checked out the site and it seems as though they are charging $815 for a pair of non adjustable suspension seats that do not come with rails. That is way too much money to have to butcher your stock seats for all their hard parts to complete the installation, leaving the stock seats basically worthless to sell. Ouch....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
For $600 you can do a pair of PRP seats. I've had a set of these before and they were far less than comfortable. I made it probably about an hour before I was stuffing rolled up shirts between the seat and my back for comfort. They are $200+ less a pair than Kevin's but are the bottom of the barrel as far as non-adjustable suspension seats go.

You can do a pair of Mastercraft seats for the same $800 these seats cost and be way ahead comfort wise. A couple friends of mine have fixed back Mastercraft $325 specials and they are much better than the PRPs I had.

I wonder where the Kevin's seats rank on the PRP (crappy) to Mastercraft (worth it) scale? Anyone have trail time in all three? I just know the difference between PRP and Mastercraft.

Excellent writeup non the less Cody. Very informative.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I checked out the site and it seems as though they are charging $815 for a pair of non adjustable suspension seats that do not come with rails. That is way too much money to have to butcher your stock seats for all their hard parts to complete the installation, leaving the stock seats basically worthless to sell. Ouch....
It comes with the mounting brackets to adapt to the factory mounting provisions in a ZJ or WJ. Did you want it to come with the entire motor/relay/memory seat/seat belt/harness assembly too? I bet all of that would cost more than the $815 for the seats lol.

You don't butcher anything, you simply unbolt the factory rails and bolt them to the provisions on the KOR seats. You then have a perfectly usable factory seat that you could sell to anyone that would want them. If it's a grand cherokee owner, then they would swap in their own rails (be they power or manual). If they are a different application, then they would have to adapt the 4 bolt mounting provisions on the factory seat into whatever vehicle they wanted to put them in.

Other people make nice seats, but they aren't designed to fit specifically in the space we have available in a ZJ or WJ, and you would need to custom fab your own mounting hardware. I value my time at $100 per hour, so if I have to spend 3 hours fabbing, fitting, and painting my own installation brackets then it becomes a far more expensive proposition for me.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
I like the look of the seats, and I agree with the comments about sliding around on the leather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts