Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee, 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 5 speed automatic.
@ days ago, I drove to work (approx 3 miles) and parked, as usual. When I went out for lunch, i warmed the vehicle up for approx 30 seconds, then proceeded to put it in reverse. the vehicle rolled slightly, then stopped. When i gave it a little gas, it revved, but didnt move, like it was in neutral. I then shifted into drive, which yielded the same result. I can shift into park, and it works as normal. So basically reverse, neutral, and drive all act as Neutral.

I had it towed to my trusted repair shop (who does not rebuild trannys). They checked all linkages, etc, and all were attached and working properly. Their initial thought was the tranny pump or getting everything rebuilt.... they also noted that the dipstick showed an excess level of fluid. i had the oil changed locally about a month ago, and have had no other problems.

I don't have 2k plus for a rebuild....:eek:

Has this happened to anyone else? I read someone had an issue with the filter coming loose, causing a similar problem.

I have had no other transmission problems whatsoever with this vehicle. I have owned it for a year, drove it gingerly. The first owner was the dealership that I purchased it from, the used car manager drove it often between Pennsylvania and Ohio for auctions. I have 138000 miles, but the vehicle is in fantastic shape.

I must also note i had the N23 (?) recall done at the dealer for the transfer case issue.

Any and all help would be appreciated. I can provide more info if needed.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No warranties unfortunately, otherwise it would be at the dealer.

I think I may have it towed to the dealer on Monday, as they would have the proper scanning equipment. Not sure if a smaller Tranny shop would have diagnostic equipment that could determine things like ESM's. :confused:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
No warranties unfortunately, otherwise it would be at the dealer.

I think I may have it towed to the dealer on Monday, as they would have the proper scanning equipment. Not sure if a smaller Tranny shop would have diagnostic equipment that could determine things like ESM's. :confused:
Any reputable transmission shop will have a scanner and most will do a brief diagnostic test for free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my trusty mechanic checked all of the linkages, etc, and couldn't find anything obvious.
He recommended a tranny shop nearby. I got it towed there last night.

While waiting for the tow truck, I let the Jeep warm up for a few minutes... same story.
I revved the engine a few times while it was in drive, and when the RPMs were going down (3k range), the Jeep took off for about 20 ft, then the tranny disengaged again. It will do the same thing in reverse. Then the engine light came on.... I did the key dance and came up with " P 0700", which I've found to be a generic transmission fault code...:confused:

Ideas? It wa towed to an AAMCO, whoo assured me they'll run the whole shebang of tests.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts