Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a weird problem. My 2004 WJ will start immediately when cold. If I drive awhile and then stop, it will crank but not start. If I let it crank for a few seconds, turn the key back to off, turn it to "on" briefly and then try to start, it fires right up. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and, for unrelated reasons, I completely rebuilt the engine, including replacement of starter, crank position sensor and fuel injectors. (As well as the usual stuff in a rebuild) 4.0 l engine, 275k miles on the car. Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure what the ignition system looks like on a 4.0, but on a different vehicle of mine, a very similar issue turned out to be the coil pack. When it was hot, it would have intermittent failures, but when it was cold, no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting idea. I bought a new coil pack w the rebuild, but it had a short so I had to use the old one. I'm waiting for my warranty replacement. I'm not sure if it's the problem, given that a turn back of the key and then a second try starts the vehicle. I was suspecting a fuel issue of some kind. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be a good idea. Replaced the coil pack rail to no effect. If I cycle the key to "on" position, twice, fires right up. I keep thinking it's a fuel pressure issue but, having replaced the fuel pump and filter, with no change, I am baffled. Thanks for the idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts