Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long do TSL Thornbirds last on a zj if they are taken care of properly...not that i want them, just asking out of curiosity because i know they suck. but do you think they would outlast an SSR???

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a friend that bought a Jeep that came with them. You are right they are horrible on the trail. He tried his darndest to wear them out on the street but they just wouldn't wear out. He gave up and sold them at the swap meet to a high school kid who was clueless. They will outlast SSR's but they are only good on pavement and sand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
have you heard anything about the traxus? i was curious if anyone has ran them on the trail and if they are worth buying

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my buddy runs the Trxus STS which kind of looks like a mild Bogger. he likes them alot but i do not have a clue about how good the Trxus MT is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
about the Thornbirds...i have heard lots of people say they wear out VERY quickly; meanwhile, many other people say that they will last forever. now, can anybody tell me approx. how many miles they would last on a zj if well taken care of? i know they are horrible tires...but i want something just for the show-n-shines. and thornbirds are pretty! but i need them to last. any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My 33 t-birds last a long time. I couldn't get them over 27mph with out shaking so bad that my vision got blurry and the xj see sawed back and forth. Of course if they are only for the shows there is just no better looking tire. Check the webshot link below for pics of them. By the way I personally balanced them and one was at or over 21 ounces of weight. The same rim with 33 MTR's came in around 5 ounces.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are definatly good looking tires. do you think i could get over 30 thousand miles out of them???

·
Registered
12 Posts
are you kidding me? i just took a pair of thornturds off my zj about 3 months ago...that are great off road, nasty on road... they are are so loud you cant hear yourself think, they walk all over the road.. they are good looking, but i would say ssr are way better, i got a friend with 35ssr on a tj and they are quite and sweet offroad.... o and the thornturds actually did last for a good while-31x12.5

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Are you considering the T-birds because you have access to a real good deal? Otherwise why would you want to consider them. They are considered one of the worst trail tires ever made, and they noisy. If you want an awesome trail tire that wear good get the SSR, BFG or Goodyear MT/R.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, yea...i can get a set of thornbird 31x11.00's brand new mounted and balanced for about 500 bucks...and like i said...the thornbirds are only for the shows and trails. and they really do look awesome. i have a set of pro-comp AT's that i run as my daily tires; however, they just dont cut it on the trail. about the BFG's and Good-Years...i have run them both and i want to switch things up a little bit. the GY MT/R is an excellent off-road tire but is very expensive(they tend to chop more so than a BFG). the BFG is a decent trail tire and has very good on-road manners. but i want a fairly extreme tire for hitting the shows and trails on the weekend. and when i think of a show tire the TSL Thornbird is what comes to mind. i believe they are good on the trail too?? the other tires i am considering ast the TSL SX and the SSR. what do you all think would be good for my purpose???

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nothing beats a thornbird at a show. So if you do a fair amount of show's then you have to have thornbirds. Also depends what type of terrain you offroad in. A lot of guys refer to the thornbirds as stuckbirds. They don't handle the real sticky deep mud but if your on 31's than chances are you not a "bogger" anyway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I never got a chance to test them as I couldn't drive anywhere to play since the shaking was so violent. Here is a picture with 33x12.50 mtr's on the same rims. The thornbirds were 33x13.50. I lost the tranny in the xj with only one mild offroad drive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea, i run a 3" lift...that is why i want to run 31"s. no, i am not a bogger really. my zj is all show. every once in a while i will run it on pretty rough trails, but is notdesigned specifically for extreme trail usage. most of the time you can find my zj towing my bass boat down to the lake. my chevy is my beater! the zj lives by its name..."Southern Comfort" this is why i want a good looking tire!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts