Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ha I'll post a pic of it when I see it later today... Yeah it's been on a few walls and supported my jeep a few times ha ha Same with the sliders.. Did u see the AF canyon video?

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
No, I haven't seen that vid. Link?

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
It was paint and install day today. I picked up some duplicolor spray paint in stone white and painted the sliders. It was a warm day, so they dried fast. Install was a breeze. I cleaned up the rockers, and added some primer to a few bare spots where I had some bare metal. The sliders essentially hold themselves on. They curve up and over the lip just under the door. The hardware secures everything and ties the everything together.

The sliders come with stainless hardware to attach the sliders to the Jeep. This pic shows the top of the slider with the stainless screw heads:

The bottom is held on by stainless bolts:

Some of the bolts stick up far enough that the bottom of the door needs to be notched. I just used a dremmel, then covered the raw metal with white spray paint. I think I had to notch 3 on the drivers side, and 4 on the passenger side.

Here is a side shot of the sliders installed. I will need to trim a bit more behind the slider. The rocker in front of the rear tire needs to be ground down just a bit more.

Washed and ready to go...

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I need to finish the paintwork on the flares, and then...

Extended brake lines
Front disconnects
Extended front bumpstops
Tank Raise

·
Registered
92 Posts
wow guess all my questions about the iceland bumpers are answered. my biggest worry was fiberglass and rocks could be bad. but if that bumper can cut through a honda like that and not be ripped to shreads then im shure a bump on a rock will not hurt it either. too bad they dont make a rear bumper too!! lol

·
Registered
325 Posts
Here are some pics from Swat_Cash. He was recently in an accident, and this shows how the fiberglass bumper came out after the accident:

Wow Nice! any ideas on if the mounting brackets were bent? I have been thinking about one of these bumpers for my ZJ as apposed to an ARB to save weight but I was worried they would not be able to take a shot. I would be curious to here the circumstances of the crash and how fast he was going. Also I am not sure how the bumper would look with my BW fender flares, I might have to be the first one to do this pairing:)

·
Registered
325 Posts
85Iroc the WJ is looking awesome! I would take one over a new wrangler or an H3 anyday! keeping it clean guy!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
did you not get all the washers for the top screws on your sliders?

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
wow guess all my questions about the iceland bumpers are answered. my biggest worry was fiberglass and rocks could be bad. but if that bumper can cut through a honda like that and not be ripped to shreads then im shure a bump on a rock will not hurt it either. too bad they dont make a rear bumper too!! lol
Yeah, they are very strong. Maybe 311 will post up some pics for you, I know he has hit the rocks pretty hard with his bumper. In regards to the rear, I keep telling Iceland to make one. I am actually going to see Emil on Friday afternoon...maybe one day soon. The biggest issue (I heard this from others) is that the rear of the WJ frame changed sometime mid production, so it would require two separate mounting systems. I sure want one to match though...

Wow Nice! any ideas on if the mounting brackets were bent? I have been thinking about one of these bumpers for my ZJ as apposed to an ARB to save weight but I was worried they would not be able to take a shot. I would be curious to here the circumstances of the crash and how fast he was going. Also I am not sure how the bumper would look with my BW fender flares, I might have to be the first one to do this pairing:)
I would be really interested to see how that will look. Post up some pics if you do it, I would really love to see it.
And there is no way the mounting brackets were bent. They are made of 1/4 plate steel, they are super strong. Up underneath of that bumper is a winch cradle all built into the brackets. All you have to do is cut the top section of the bumper out and you can turn the non winch bumper into a winch bumper.

did you not get all the washers for the top screws on your sliders?
I did get them all. You gave me a great heads up about having to notch the door for the heads. Thanks for the tip, I made sure to have a dremmel handy on install day. So I thought I would install them without the washer on top and give them a lower profile. This allowed me to only need to notch the door for 7 or 8 of the bolt heads.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
85Iroc the WJ is looking awesome! I would take one over a new wrangler or an H3 anyday! keeping it clean guy!!
Yeah, I would much rather have this than an H3. I like the JK's though, but only if I could find a Rubicon at the right price.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Actually they were bent.... I will take some pics of the damage and post them on here. But it was nothing to bad. It bent the brackets to the left about a quater of an inch. I should be able to slot my mounting holes and move it back to were it is center. I have allready sent Emil an email with the pictures attached he said he would help me out with the the replacement monting brackets. Im not 100% sure on how fast she was going but I had just went over a speed bumb and was only going like 15 in a parking lot and the next thing I know there is a honda coming from my right side at (I would say) 40-45 mph. She picked me up and moved me just about 90 degrees from the direction I was facing. Her line of travel wasnt even effected my my jeep. She just kept going straight. I ended up getting just over $1300 from the accident. Her insurence company claimed 100% responsibility. So I bought my Tom Woods double cardian along with new head lights and wheels spacers since my rubicons rubbed on my control arms and jks discos in the front and on my shocks and exhaust in the back when I would turn. So all in all I dont think I got the bad end of that accident if you think about it... lol

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yeah, I would love to see pics of the brackets then. Post them up!

Your Woods driveshaft...is it a double cardan on both ends, or just the t-case end? Were you having vibration problems, or why did you decide to upgrade? I have a vibration, especially when I am on the throttle a bit at highway speed. I am wondering if I need this (I replaced the u-joints and balanced the shaft, not much change).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, I would love to see pics of the brackets then. Post them up!

Your Woods driveshaft...is it a double cardan on both ends, or just the t-case end? Were you having vibration problems, or why did you decide to upgrade? I have a vibration, especially when I am on the throttle a bit at highway speed. I am wondering if I need this (I replaced the u-joints and balanced the shaft, not much change).
my front ds went out so thats why i went ahead and upgraded. its the double cardian on both ends

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
my front ds went out so thats why i went ahead and upgraded. its the double cardian on both ends
Did you destroy it on the trail, or what were the symptoms of it going out?

BTW - If fiberglass holds up when 1/4 inch steel brackets bend, the bumper really is strong.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Was it any worse when you were on or off of the throttle?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey guys I've had problems with my Tom wood front drive shaft, ever since
I frist bought it, heres the story, the ujoints & center ball on this single
Cardan drive shaft, the cardan yoke are on the transfer side, gos out every year almost to the day, Ive had tom woods drive shaft for 3 years, and had to send it in to have them to rebuild it, every year, for 3 years, it cost 115 $
shipping included, they'll send it back to ya , w/ new center ball & all new u
ujoints, Its not the desert driven, 4 wheeln I do, maybe 100 miles on the week end, Its the on road driving I do , like 300 miles 4 times a month , there and back to Death Valley , thats where I work, & I live in Ridgecrest, Just Thought I'de mention it , Tom woods are good, but They'll cost you !!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cardan drive shaft, the cardan yoke are on the transfer side, gos out every year almost to the day, Ive had tom woods drive shaft for 3 years, and had to send it in to have them to rebuild it, every year, for 3 years, it cost 115 $
ujoints, Its not the desert driven, 4 wheeln I do, maybe 100 miles on the week end, Its the on road driving I do , like 300 miles 4 times a month , there and back to Death Valley , thats where I work, & I live in Ridgecrest, Just Thought I'de mention it , Tom woods are good, but They'll cost you !!
right on man thanks for the heads up.... im sorry you have had so much trouble with yours..... no it was only real bad when i was on the throttle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you think it could be an adjustment issue? I'm just wondering cause i've put a good many miles on mine. Not sure how many though, its been on the jeep 2 years with no issues. I had gone through three stock drive shafts before the TW one. Either way if you look at oem vs. TW, i last remember chrysler wanted $700 for a new one and the TW was $400 or $450. But thats the stealerships for you.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts