Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift for my '96 ZJ Limited. I have never installed a lift before but am fairly mechanically inclined. I am hoping to install it in one day and am looking for any pointers or advice to make it go as smoothly as possible. I plan to run 265/75r/16 (31.6"/10.4"/16") on my factory "pimp daddy gold" rims. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You need at least two jacks and two holding blocks. Air wrench is pretty neccessary. bottomortment of rachets and wrenches for those hard to reach spots. Also, be sure and have some cable or a tie-strap because when I installed my lift, my front axle shifted forward on me and we couldn't get it back, so we used a tie-strap and wrapped around the axle and to the frame of the Jeep and then me and the boy that helped me install mine used a long screwdriver to twist the strap and tighten it up and moved the axle back into place. Just some advice. Oh yeah, and a grease gun!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I disagree with both of these dudes, only in the way that I didn't need a come-along or air tools at all. Wasn't even close to needing either of those.

I just did one CA at a time and had nothing but my little g/f from Texas to hook up a rope on the axle and lean into it a little to line the CA mounts up with the CA's.

Spring compressors were the only special tool that helped tremendously, but you have to be very careful with them.

Aside from that, no air tools, nothing. Just a torque wrench and some ingenuity. And it couldn't hve been easier. Just soak everything in PB blaster every night for like the three nights before and you are set.

Edit: My experience was for the RE 4.5". Yours should be even easier if you follow the right guidelines (read: PB Blaster).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wharfrat on 2002-02-26 22:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I don't have access to air tools anyway. I'm a pretty big ole Texas boy and I bet my jeep doesn't have a bolt on it I can't turn or break.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't really have any advice, but I'll probably be doing the same thing to my 96 ZJ Ltd. sometime in the near future. How about letting me know how it went when you finish, good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Give us photos and a write up when you are done. I havn't seen a good write up in the
Grand Tech section here yet. :cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try to take plenty of photos. The only problem I have is I get wrapped up in the project and forget to take pics of everything. A few advantages I will have is access to a forklift and a buddy with tons of experience with lifts on different make trucks. I hope it all goes well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts