Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Jeep WJ V8 that is blowing it’s head gasket. I have determined this through the standard methods of checking oil and coolant.

All of this means I need a new engine or I need to get rid of it. I don’t have much money, so I can’t do a repair on the head gasket. It’s about $5k from what I understand which would total my Jeep, that’s why I’m looking at replacing the engine.

Many of you here have much more experience than I do do any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2000 Jeep WJ V8 that is blowing it’s head gasket. I have determined this through the standard methods of checking oil and coolant.

All of this means I need a new engine or I need to get rid of it. I don’t have much money, so I can’t do a repair on the head gasket. It’s about $5k from what I understand which would total my Jeep, that’s why I’m looking at replacing the engine.

Many of you here have much more experience than I do do any suggestions would help.
My wife's GC limited 4.7 self destructed and she found several used engines on line, about $1000 and about the same to R&R it
Dr. Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife's GC limited 4.7 self destructed and she found several used engines on line, about $1000 and about the same to R&R it
Dr. Mike
Do you think it would be worth it? The only engines I can find are about $1500 right now. But I also thought maybe a cheaper but reliable engine and swap may work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you think it would be worth it? The only engines I can find are about $1500 right now. But I also thought maybe a cheaper but reliable engine and swap may work.
The fact is that the older cars are much better than newer ones. If the car otherwise is in ok shape it would be cheaper to find decent used motor and R&R. Usually these 4.7 motors are not rebuildable, since they tend to drop valve seats (would need new heads anyway).
Buying a motor is kind of like advice given to me years ago about buying a bulletproof vest, namely, "Don't buy a cheap one."

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is an impossible question to answer. Only you can decide if the risk of buying a JY engine and spending the time and money to install it is a better choice than scrapping it.
A good rule of thumb for engine swaps is make a budget, figure out exactly what you think the total swap is going to cost including software and fluids, then double that estimate.
Even if your budget holds, you're probably looking at at least $3k and maybe a couple hundred hours depending on how well-equipped and skilled you are.
Or you can spend $3k on a craigs-list special and roll those dice...That's a personal call.
I would say big deciding factors would be a) how comfortable you are doing the work, b) how much time you can set aside for the project, and c) is the body worth saving?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Most junkyards will warranty an engine for 30 days, but they dont necessarily know if it will work or not. They just don't have much to lose in offering a 30 day warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts