Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Jeep grand cherokee limited with the 4.0 I6, when i got it it had a miss and smoked a little black and got crappy MPG's, so I put the scanner on it and it said code p0171 bank 1 lean. I was told it was first a coolant sensor so changed that made no difference and worse it still says its bad, then I was told it was the updraft or secondary 02 sensor, changed that and it ran great for about 2.5 weeks no smoke, good mpg ran smoothe as glass. Just yesterday it started to smoke and miss again I checked it and it brought code p0171 again this time I was told it was the EGR valve, but mine did not come with EGR my guess is its not made here maybe canada. I dont know computer controlled engines that well just the basics im a carb and points guy so please any help as to what this could be. I also cycled the key and got code 52 and read that it may be the breather tube from the cat to the intkae but I havent looked for it yet. Im just mad cuz I love my jeep and I don't want to sell it :mad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
breather from the cat to the intake? not on my 96 4.0l?? just an 02 sensor behind the cat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I saw today, now Im being told that it could be the timing buthat doesn't explain why the symptoms dissapeared for so long and came back without warning. Im getting frustrated, it is written somewhere that I can't have a nice car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts