1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
No problems here.

G

·
0 Posts
It worked for me for about 5,000 miles. the tcase is fine, but I blew the front so as long as i needed a new driveshaft I redid the whole driveline w/ tom woods shafts and np231hd tcase

·
Registered
266 Posts
The 249 has no problems with lift kits! I don't know why this keeps coming up. I've heard this rumor before but no one really knows someone who had a failure.

I'm not saying run out and buy a 249. There are a lot of emotions out there about the 249!!! But if you've got one, run it 'til it wears out!

David

E

·
0 Posts
This 249 thang comes from vibes. The front DS is shorter, so as height increases it has greater angles and will be the first to annoy. The 249 is a FT-only case. With the other cases if the front vibes you can shift to 2WD, disconnect the front DS, and go home happy. Not the 249. Well, not without being worried. Some 96+ (NV) guys do it which isn't too bad. The power coupling is forgiving if driven without wheelspin. Some pre-96 (NP) guys do it too, hopefully more carefully, but they should all have a little $700 tickle in their thoughts.

That should be it. Beyond that it's an argument over which wheels better and deciding that depends on your kind of wheeling.

-Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree, it depends on the type of wheeling/daily driving you do. Not many of us like to admit it, most of us drive much more on pavement. Sure I like to go to the mountains almost every weekend, that still means a lot of highway driving. I was faced with a bad VC in my 249, I decided to get it replaced. I considered the 242 swap, I decided to stay with the 249. I have had great luck with it. I am netting about 5.5" of lift and can still flex quite well.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You will blow the front shaft IF it is a cv shaft and you wheel hard enough.

But aside from that, I have no vibes and no problems with the RE 4.5 + spacers, at all.

Custom front shaft and adj. front uppers are key in making the combo work though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
no problem here at 6.5" w/ TW ront shaft and adjustable uppers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey MarlonT,
what made you decide to get the new front shaft?? I am at 6" also and think my front is maxed out. It's making some wicked noises.. How do you know when it's too short??
TIA, Sam

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well prior to this I got 5" lift (skyjacker 3"+2" BB) w/ NV249 and cv front driveshaft (stock UCA). With this set-up the cv joint at the axle is about on max angle. I got a used driveshaft from C. Liston and taken that opportunity to upgrade. One thing I notice after the swap is the front one is now quiet and feels tight. Hope this help.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I was at nearly 8" for awhile w/ stock driveshafts and the pre 96 249. I am no longer that tall, nor with that case, but it can be done. Just be sure to push your rear axle back an inch or so to prevent the slipyoke from ass-raping your transfercase. ;)

Cody

·
Registered
102 Posts
MoabZJ,
Did you have the U-joint at the diff and the double cardan at the t-case??? I'm installing the front Adj. arms tomorrow, if I get the rears, should I be okay?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The "rumor" probably came from RE themselves as evidenced in this email I recieved from them:

"Unfortunately you will probably have driveline vibrations caused by your front drive shaft. With the 249 transfer case there is nothing you can do. We recommend the 3.5 kit for the 249 equipped jeeps. If you have to go to 4.5" then be prepared to have some vibrations."

I am asking them if this is for the cv shaft only.

·
Registered
266 Posts
On 2002-02-20 23:52, KCRottiedog wrote:
The "rumor" probably came from RE themselves as evidenced in this email I recieved from them:

"Unfortunately you will probably have driveline vibrations caused by your front drive shaft. With the 249 transfer case there is nothing you can do. We recommend the 3.5 kit for the 249 equipped jeeps. If you have to go to 4.5" then be prepared to have some vibrations."

I am asking them if this is for the cv shaft only.
Like I told you on JU... the issue is with the CV driveshaft.

David

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am definitely of the opinion that with 8 adj. CA's you can go 4.5" with no real vibes, even with a 249. If you wheel it, beprepared to blow the front shaft though.

When you start to go higher than that, issues then begin to develop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts