Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big of a lift will I need if I wanted 30x9.5 or 31x10.5 tires on a 95 ZJ.
Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

That article is very Helpful.

E

·
0 Posts
Quite a few have run 2" BB's on top of the factory isolators, both front and back.

Community learning says:

-Do not mount the BB spacers under the factory isolators. The isolators flex and the spacers provide an arm to amplify the effect. If using both, remove the isolators and put them on under the spacers. (Body->BB->isolator->spring) If you don't you'll feel the added movement coming out of corners. The right way is to do this is to attach the isolator to the bottom of the spacer with sheet metal screws.

-Ideally, extend the rear posts to keep the spring in while offroading. A small length of 1.5" ID tubing will do it. Bolting can be done but welding it on is better and simpler in the long run. Also, with the right sized tubing this eliminates the play caused by the rear posts being smaller than the spacer holes.

-GET AN ALIGNMENT! Lifting 2" throws your toe out of whack. If you don't fix this you'll start noticing your front tires scrubbing the outside edges. It's a simple driveway procedure or just hit a local shop. Well worth the effort to save your tires.

-Some might say that it's as easy to just use taller springs. I didn't say that.

Expect to want more. :)

-Dave

·
Registered
484 Posts
On 2002-02-11 16:06, el stupido wrote:
Expect to want more. :)

-Dave
Yep ;) I have been running the BB for almost a year now. I am runnning 30's and wish I went 31's, since I now want to go higher. It is a great low buck added ground clearance. Notice I said added ground clearance and not lift :) If you do go the BB route, DO GET longer shocks. W/O getting longer shocks you really don't get any added offroad ability other than ground clearance. You suspension will max out (droop) very quickly with stock shocks.

Dave had some great advise above.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where can i find some information/cost on the BB? What kind of shocks do you recomend?

Thanks

E

·
0 Posts
Tera Manufacturing makes one.(www.teraflx.com) It'll run about $100 depending on the store. The most popular one for community jeepers has to be "Anthony's". It's made by Anthony Defalco for $50. You can reach him at [email protected].

For shocks you can get away with your stockers. They limit droop but nothing will break. Good longer shocks aren't cheap and are pretty specific to lift heights. Wait until you're sure you won't go taller.

-Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was able to easily fit 30"s under a .75" Rusty's budget boost on my 1995 ZJ. My understanding is that you can't fit 31"s without a 3" lift.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How hard are Rustys BB to Install?

The extent of my mechanical doings are Oil Changes so I have to figure in the cost of a mechanic.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is an installation guide for the Teraflex BB lift on the Grand Tech Page http://www.nagca.com/grandtech.htm here at NAGCA. It should give you an idea what is involved in a BB lift. Overall it is pretty easy if you are not mechanicaly challenged.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stealth on 2002-02-12 15:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just mounted 31 BFG's yesterday. They have a little over half the tread left but do not rub on the bumber or my control arms. I have Anthony's BB with non UC coils. You can fit 30's on a stock zj.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do I need to do any trimming if I were going to put the 30's on Stock suspension?

·
Registered
35 Posts
These numbers work most of the time but you will need to keep in mind that not all 30", 31" & 32" tires are created equal. For example Super Swamper 32" is closer to 33" compared to tires like BFG's Mud's and Goodyear's MT/R's :eek:

On 2002-02-13 16:53, gsxr-jeeper wrote:
You can run 30's with stock susp., 31's with a BB, and 32's with 3" & very minor trimming.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It depends on your springs and if they sag much.

G

·
0 Posts
if you want to run a 31x10.50 i would say you need a 3" lift to avoid rubbing. I know there are people running spacer lifts with 31's but i feel like at full stuff with the wheels turned a 31 will chew those fenders

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe it's just me...but has the forum changed this man's idea for a BB to getting a lift?

I used tomken 2" spacers front and back, and didn't remove either of the stock spacers.

I knew that I wanted to throw in more room for 31x12.50s on 15x10 rims that I managed to get for free, so I ordered JUST the SkyJacker springs and bought some new shocks from Rusty's just because I heard that it was a good idea.

Now that it's about time for new tires, I'm just going to run 32x11.50 on 15x8 rims as everyone on the forum suggests.

After the little bit of trimming and banging around in the wheel well I did for the tires I had on before so it wouldn't rub when I turned, and ripped my tires to shreds when I was flexing off-road(which it did, and then I trimmed), the 32s should have Plenty of room!

Whatever you do, have fun with it! And yes, do get your tires alligned! And look for anything in your wheel well that looks like it would be dangerous to your tires before you decide to start your off-road excursions!

·
Registered
385 Posts
depends on the suspension setup your jeep has i think. i have 30x9.5 under my jeep with stock everything and i dont rub anywhere. thats whhy i figure if i put on a 3.5 RE i will be able to fit 32's under mine

1 - 20 of 32 Posts