Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I've been lurking on here ever since I bought my Niner, which is now getting close to a quarter million miles! Figured I'd toss up some pics and start a build log. The thing is 100% stock right now, no rebuilds on any part of the drivetrain. How do I know? Bought it from the original owner, and have all the receipts for maintenance and service!

The day I bought it!

and the trouble spots

not too worried about that stuff right now though. I have a tiny trans line leak, which I plan on fixing soon, and installing a good sized cooler and filter in the process. my exhaust is also leaky. plans for that are a set of summit racing shorties, custom down pipe into a 3 inch exhaust with a borla stinger muffler and probably a high flow cat to avoid a CEL. Has anyone tried using a regular set of shorty headers?

These are the headers i was looking at. I figure for 150 its worth a shot

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Headers? The only headers that'll fit are Doug Thorley ones and you'll need to check out Kolak on JF to get some.

Thorley only makes them in small batches.

Hunter

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read somewhere that someone made them work. I have pretty much an entire fab shop in my garage, so modifications to a set of headers is not a huge deal. Im looking at roughly 550 for an entire exhaust, instead of 7-900 just for headers. That is including vbands, a good collector (2.5inx2, 3in out), and vband clamps. Im also contemplating making my own set.

On another note, going to try to get the cobra out of the garage today, she had a long trip to Mustang week in myrtle beach (im from michigan). Long story short, bought a t56 magnum, which costed me $3k for the trans alone. Well, It sprung a leak on the way down to myrtle beach. Not cool.

After that's fixed, the niner will be rolling into the garage

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still haven't got around to the exhaust work, but I did fix my trans leak. I installed a fairly large oil cooler, and the necessary fitting to wire in a trans temp gauge.

Here is a few behind the scenes pictures. I can't recall what I picked the trans cooler out of, but a full size bronco seems to ring a bell. Cost me $17 at the junkyard. I flushed it out and plumbed it in.

Here you can see that I took the original fitting and tube, and bent it 90 more degrees.

Fittings for the B&M temp gauge that has been sitting in my garage for somewhere around 4 years.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Looking good, just keep an eye on engine temps with the larger trans cooler blocking airflow to the radiator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I always keep a good eye on that. Also, notice the completely missing fog light, I bought 2 of the same side at the junk yard :doh

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, figured I should post this. got into an accident

and to top it all off, the lazy tow truck driver did this

hopefully I can fix it, we will see

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it is a 2 lane road, the guy was stopped in the oncoming lane to turn left. He literally waited until our front bumpers were even to turn. Hit me just hard enough to point me into the ditch. The ditch did the rest.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Well, it is a 2 lane road, the guy was stopped in the oncoming lane to turn left. He literally waited until our front bumpers were even to turn. Hit me just hard enough to point me into the ditch. The ditch did the rest.
Well, go after his insurance company, idiots like him are why insurance exists.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am.. Michigan law says that the other persons insurance is only responsible for 1k in vehicle damages though. So that's all I'll get out of it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Almost 4 years later, I still have this thing haha

I repaired it enough to drive for quite a while. I just bought another 5.9l in November, which is when I retired this one.

285k miles, and still going pretty decently. Planning on making it a wheeling rig, I'ts been a long time since I've had a lifted jeep .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts