Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 for a really good price. I'm a huge Oldsmobile fan, but I needed something 4x4 for Connecticut winters, and possibly for some towing. The owner was having some difficulty with it stalling out on him, and listed it as not running, but then when I picked it up, it started right up. It seems to idle just fine, but when you give it more gas, it stalls out sometimes. It will start right back up, but whenever you need it to go, it'll stall. I just picked it up tonight, so I'm going to sound like a newb here without any further checking (sorry in advance), but anyone have any ideas?

Things I noticed tonight / have heard of that could possibly be:

Headlight is flooded - probably about a water bottle's worth of water in there somehow... Could it be shorting the electrical system out?

The lights seem to almost flicker as if it's not getting enough juice, - maybe the alternator or something to do with the headlights??

Last, a mechanic friend of mine mentioned these were somewhat notorious for having catylitic converter issues that make them run funny... Possibly?

I'm not getting any error codes or SES lights, etc. And when it's idling, it seems to run perfectly fine - minus the loud exhaust :p.

Thanks in advance for any help! I hope to learn more about this Jeep and enjoy it for future years.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The running issue could be either 1. clogged fuel filter, or 2. Catalytic converter, yes notorius.

You can remove the headlight and the bulb and dump the water out... find out how it's getting in there. Maybe seal w/ silicone.

Could be the voltage regulator causing the flicker. Have your charging/battery system checked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts