Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Help: Squeak/Squeal from Jeep front drivline

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  frvr_wkd2006Overland 
#1 ·
ok All, I need your help.

Since wheeling last weekend, I have a bad Squeak/Squeal from my front driveline. I believe the sound is coming from the front output at my Transfer case, an NP 249.

Here's what i have done to start diagnosing the problem.
#1 - Went to Car wash and completely sprayed the front underside, wheels, and differential.
#2 - Jacked up front end with both Transmission and Transfer case in Neutral.
#3 - Slowly turned drivers side tire, thinking squeak was from a stone in brake pad. Wrong.
#4 - Watched front drive shaft at differential, and when driveshaft was moving heard squeak from middle of vehicle. Unfortunately with all skids on, can't get under
and find exactly where sound is coming from, but I believe it is the transfer case

Can anyone give me ideas of what to check to determine what might be causing the squeak from the transfer case? I have recently purchased, but not yet picked up a 231 TC to eventually swap into my rig.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

BigD

See less See more
#2 ·
This post was made in 2007 14 years ago and nobody ever responded? Disappointing. I'm experiencing the same thing in my 06 Overland. All parts are new, except front driveshaft. But i'm experiencing a light metal to metal squeaking. Same sound no matter the speed. Doesn't get worse at higher speeds for example. It'll make the same sound whether going 30 or 100. Same rhythm and all. However it presents itself 99% of the time when accelerating, but not when actively braking. But it's not the brakes which I am certain of. But all suspension is tightened down, and nothing is loose. Cannot figure it out for the life of me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.