Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got into a car accident yesterday and got an auto body shop to look at the damages. The air (heat and A/C) only blows through the defrost vents but not the main vents. What could have caused this? and where in the car is the broken/damaged parts located? I read that it may be because of the vent fan or the vacuum. HELP! The bodyshop is trying to rip me off and say that the accident did not cause this damage and instead suggested me to pay for diagnostics first before anything can be decided.

Btw, I hit a car that was entering my lane from a private parking lot. She got the citation for being neglegent since I had the right of way, but where the jeep hit her was the front passenger side which damaged the bumper, vender, hood, headlights, and along with the air not working properly.

Help help help! :( :confused:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd say you damaged your vacuum reservoir.. the vents default to the defrost position when you have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd say you damaged your vacuum reservoir.. the vents default to the defrost position when you have a vacuum leak.
^^THIS^^

IIRC the vacuum reservoir is below the battery or in the pass. fender. I'd say its very likely caused by the accident. Look for a black plastic ball about the size of a softball. If its cracked or the vac. lines were knocked off that could be the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off we will need to know what kind of jeep this is.
Also if you search for this issue it has been covered many times, the threads on this issue will be a lot more helpful than I may be but it could be an actuator or a relay or fuse.

It's a Jeep Grand Cherokee. 2001.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. If I were to get a diagnostic test on it, would it entail that their is a vacuum leak? The body shop manager said that the A/C control was old and needed to be replaced... I did that today and the vents are still at the defrost position. Waste of $200 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^THIS^^

IIRC the vacuum reservoir is below the battery or in the pass. fender. I'd say its very likely caused by the accident. Look for a black plastic ball about the size of a softball. If its cracked or the vac. lines were knocked off that could be the problem.
Oh yah, that's where the other driver hit me. The passenger fender is all dented in along with my passenger headlight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts