Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was informed by an old friend of mine, a quick trick to clear up the plastic headlights. I didn't take any pictures, caus I didn't think it would work. But here I am letting you all know, It works...

1. Clean the headlight lense.
2. Spray clear coat enamel on them, in 1 or 2 light coats
3. Let dry.

I used a $4 can of clear coat from car quest worked great. Give it a try. ;)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Got before an after shots by any chance, or maybe just an after shot? If it makes a big difference might be worth the $4 :mrgreen:

·
Registered
414 Posts
How did you polish them ? I have a bottle of Meguires PlasX that helped a bit but I was not impressed. I used a cloth, would it come out better with a buffer ?
I actually have a can of spray clear coat I was going to use on a set of jeep outlaw's that needed some cleaning up and recoating but I had them done instead.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
I used this stuff with my powerball (WJ):

·
Registered
11 Posts
headlight fix

hi guys this will be my first post.I'm a former member of the NAXJA.
My cousin has a body shop and this is what we use and makes them look NEW.
first you need a buffer. we use a multispeed buffer with it set to med-hi speed.
next you need a good rubbing compound.we use 3M rubbing compound.you can get a small bottle (8oz)of it at walmart for about 6 bucks (32oz at paint supply store $25+).we use a 3M foam buffing pad and you can only get these at a paint supply store for about 16 bucks(they last forever and don't get clogged with the rubbing compound.)
put the compound on the buffer and start buffing the headlight till it looks new. normaly takes from 2 to 5 mins depending how bad they are.you can polish by hand and i have several times but,if i do it by hand i use 2000 grit sand paper and wet sand it first then come back with rubbing compound till it shines again (takes awhile.)
As far as painting them i would'nt recomend it. It seems to the heat and uv rays that do this to the lenses, so if you paint them you might a harder time when you have to do it again.I would love for you to keep us updated on the painted lens, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do I just never heard of any body around here doing it.If they look new a year from now I'll do it too.

Oh yea, i buff mine evey six months whether they need it or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Head Light lenses

I have had my lenses protected by clear covers on my '98 ZJ and are crystal clear(covers take a beating but no pitting or staining,must be harder plastic).

So my "research" suggest its not ultra-violet light related, but caused by road grime pitting and staining the plastic lense.

Gradual wet sanding with finer grits removes pits and stains,but also removes material thus thining the lense. Final polishing removes sanding marks.

If it is affordable buy new and protect with hard covers or plyable film.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Brasso

I was polishing my Zippo one evening, reading the back of the container of Brasso. I noticed that it could be used as a polish for plastic watch crystals... that got me thinking...

After using Meguires & countless other products, I have to say that Brasso worked the best, by far!!! Very minimal effort & it only took me the time to smoke one cigarette & I was done. The lense is crystal clear & very, very smooth.

Give it a shot, I was impressed! ...To think, I've had this in the house all along!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The plastic headlights on my 15 year old ZJ with 217,000 miles had gotten really cloudy over the years. Kinda like shinning a light through a milk jug actually. I bought a Mothers mini polishing ball to do some aluminum wheels, but decided to try it on my headlights first. I didn't see any recomendation to use the polishing ball on headlights, but thought I would go ahead and try it anyways. I bought some Meguiars PlastX and went at it tonight. The results were great with only a few minutes work. I don't know how long it will last, but it looks so much better and I think the headlights are more effective too. I'm not one to plug products, but this really seemed to work well with very little effort!

Pre Polishing:

Polished:

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Well, I got sick of polishing my lenses every year...so I just bought a new set for the WJ. $148 shipped/insured to my door. Not bad for WJ lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts