Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
since I'm going to install a truetrac in the rear (and also in the front) of my 1997 ZG 4.0L with stock tires, I was also thinking about upgrading the rear axle shafts. I found these ones:

http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=4470
http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=4471

I'd would like to ask if these are the correct parts to put in my rear; obivously the car has rear disk brakes and ABS, and I want to retain them :D.

The car is my DD: mostly road, some light offroad and some snow. I'll keep stock gear and tires.

They're about 300 US$ (150 each) plus shipping. Are they worth the money ?

Alternatives ? Any considerations ?

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you are going to keep the stock tires, it will not be necessary. A limited slip will not lock up enough to break a shaft with stock tires.

Donald

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are worried about breaking axles I would just carry a few spares when you go wheeling. The dana 35 axles are known to fail if you have 33" are locked and wheel on rocks (spinning your tires and wheeling hard). If you dont have 33" tires, wheel on rocks (or other high traction surfaces) or have a locker I would not worry about breaking axles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you dont have 33" tires, wheel on rocks (or other high traction surfaces) or have a locker I would not worry about breaking axles.
Neither of these are going to happen. I'll use only stock tires (225/70R16); but it may happen to spin wheels in moderate mud or snow (with aspahalt or dirt under). But I would not call these "high traction surfaces".

Thank you very much for the advice. To both, of course.

·
Registered
32 Posts
axles

If you are running stock tires you should be fine. I would also look into the TracLok. They are really reasonably priced and actually work pretty well in a vehicle with under 32" tires. Just look at your old axles when you do it, if there is ANY pitting on the seal or bearings surfaces, replace them.

Neither of these are going to happen. I'll use only stock tires (225/70R16); but it may happen to spin wheels in moderate mud or snow (with aspahalt or dirt under). But I would not call these "high traction surfaces".

Thank you very much for the advice. To both, of course.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are running stock tires you should be fine. I would also look into the TracLok.
The car has quadra-track, so a traclok should be already there. It has 50k miles on it. But, other than some little chirping in parking lot turns, I'm not able to detect its presence. Beside, I'd like to mess myself with a few mods, truetracs have such a good reputation that I want to try them.

Just look at your old axles when you do it, if there is ANY pitting on the seal or bearings surfaces, replace them.
I'm not able do myself such a complicated operation, but I'll ask my mechanic to look at them.

Thank you for your advice !

·
Registered
307 Posts
if your keeping stock id say get a set of stock spare shafts. if you want to spend some coin get a c clip elim kit.

·
Registered
536 Posts
the d35 is known to fail under normal driving on stock tires.

good luck man!
Thats just a stupid comment. Take your 2 inch BB and 31's and go play in a sandbox somewhere and only talk about what you have experience with =). Check the vehicle in my sig, and look at the pics. MANY trips on 35's and stock shafts. With the v-8, and my foot in it.... ON rocks in AZ, best rockcrawling in the states. Thanks and have a nice day. (and yes I did swap to yukons, but never broke a stock shaft, still keep em as spares).

Anyway, hey grocery getter, its Nick, we talked before about the trutrac's. You'll be fine with the stock axles man. I ran them for a while with the 35's, which was way more than you'll ever put them through. I have to give props to the yukons though, as you can see, they got my money. I run them myself. But for your needs, you'll be fine brotha. Have a great time with that, and let me know when u get the trutracs in. Nick

·
Registered
812 Posts
dude...relax. i've heard more horror stories about that axle on anything. this isn't my first jeep. i plan on wheeling the d35 until it breaks.

i just did my research when i bought my xj and knew i wanted an 8.25 over the d35.

and its not a stupid comment, i've seen and heard stories of people breaking a d35 with a 4.0l and a small lift on a fire road. they are notoriously weak.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I abused my locked dana 35 on heavy 31" swampers without issue.

With stock tires, I wouldn't bother upgrading it. $300 could be spent elsewhere. Hell, I wouldn't put a dime into a dana 35 unless you knew you could make your money back selling whatever upgrades you do to it. That's the only reason I locked mine when I had it.

I've seen one guy so far obliterate his dana 35 on stock tires, and it's because he would constantly do one wheel peels and doughnuts -- basically, he drives like a bat outta hell.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
your gonna replace your limited slip with a limited slip?

for the $$ youll spend on it, i would get some new tires instead or somethin. i ran 30x9.5 tires with no lift and never a single rub anywhere for years. i think the metric size was 239-75-15 or so.
Snow likes ground clearance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here is a vid of a dude with a HP30 up front and a D35 in the back. The rear didnt fail cant say the same for the hp30 though.

Anyway, for peace of mind you can get some junk yard spares for the d35 but I dont see any circumstances where you can break the d35 with stock tires unless you are 4 low and bouncing the rear on a very high traction surface....

dont worry about it man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W57WoaGSGN8

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
your gonna replace your limited slip with a limited slip?
That sounds weird, doesn't it ? :D

Truetracs and tracloks are different kind of beasts, and I would like to try the first.

for the $$ youll spend on it, i would get some new tires instead or somethin.
You're very right. But I have to take in consideration also the italian law; pratically you can't touch your veichle. Obtaining the authorization for bigger tires I difficoult, and without it I'll risk a 2000 US$ ticket (and I'll be forced to put back original tires) :eek:. I'm not even sure that I could change the differentials, but, at least, this mod is not easily detectable.

Snow likes ground clearance.
Again, you're very right. It likes winter tires also.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
and its not a stupid comment, i've seen and heard stories of people breaking a d35 with a 4.0l and a small lift on a fire road. they are notoriously weak.
No, its not really a stupid comment or question. The Dana 35 is, for all intensive purposes fine in stock form. We can, and will debate this until the end of time. There are those that run them hard on bigger rolling stock and have zero issues. These are the exceptions to the rule. Regardless of what side of the debate you find yourself on nobody worth their weight can argue the fact that it is a very weak axle even in stock form.

Now, there are options out there to make the Dana 35 nominally stronger but the axle will always have its limitations regardless of how much time and effort you put into it. With that said, the best case scenario is to swap it out for something stronger. However, I am well aware that is not always an option for everyone. Knowledge base also plays into this as well. If you are not comfortable doing an axle swap and would feel better about just swapping axle shafts, etc. then the 35 will work for you. I would honestly keep the tire size below a 33", possibly sticking with a 32".

Good luck, I hope all of this has helped!

RockZJ

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
That sounds weird, doesn't it ? :D

Truetracs and tracloks are different kind of beasts, and I would like to try the first.

You're very right. But I have to take in consideration also the italian law; pratically you can't touch your veichle. Obtaining the authorization for bigger tires I difficoult, and without it I'll risk a 2000 US$ ticket (and I'll be forced to put back original tires) :eek:. I'm not even sure that I could change the differentials, but, at least, this mod is not easily detectable.

Again, you're very right. It likes winter tires also.
my bad, i didnt see you were in italy. i see you have a 4.0 and 249 too.....cool.
my comments are all mostly off-road based.

·
Registered
307 Posts
the d35 is known to fail under normal driving on stock tires.

good luck man!
ive personally seen this happen to the 44a never to a 35c....wheeled a 35c on 38s only broke 3 times!!!! in six months! once 38s were buried under a creek once i was doing a burnout the other in deeep mud

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here is a vid of a dude with a HP30 up front and a D35 in the back. The rear didnt fail cant say the same for the hp30 though.

Anyway, for peace of mind you can get some junk yard spares for the d35 but I dont see any circumstances where you can break the d35 with stock tires unless you are 4 low and bouncing the rear on a very high traction surface....

dont worry about it man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W57WoaGSGN8
i can break a 35 on 31s in 2 hi....w/ a worn 4.0

1 - 20 of 35 Posts