Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has replaced their clutch fan with electric fans to gain more HP.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi Derwin...Ele.Fan will make your alta-giner work harder..hence..no free lunch. ele, fan is slightly less depenable. Saw one smoke at the top of Black Bear in Colorado. good news is it's down hill to Telluride....Bad news..day and a half to get order. Ele.fan is good that you turn off your engine while cooling you boiling rad..I put a small 12" booster in front of A/C condenser on my '76 wagoneer...COOL...wax aka Don S

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well.. if you don't have a cooling problem, and your charging system is up to the 20-30A load an electric fan places on your rig.

A couple advantages the electric fan gives you are:
15-20HP Improvment in performance
Wire a kill switch to disable fan for water crossing

Disadvantages:
20-30A Current Draw
Dont' work as good as mechanical fans

·
Registered
726 Posts
that hp gain for the electric will be the same as when the clutch fan is disengaged.

its not at all times. you could rig a switch to turn the electric fan off for water crossings.

·
Registered
186 Posts
But if you forget and put a plastic fan blade through the radiator you journey is no longer fun. /forum/images/smiles/scared.gif Sorry to seem negative on the subject but I have the V-8 and a lack of power is not a problem. The stock fan is reliable and keeps the engine cool.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I converted my XJ to an electric fan and it worked great. It had a temperature sensor that turned it on and off and the current draw wasn't that great. At 25 MPH and above it never came on. I used a Flex-a-lite.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use a two fan setup. One 14in push, one 16in pull, they work awesome. I could definately tell a difference in power, and the engine runs around 185* with a 180* stat. The fans are wired with a indicator LED that alerts me when the fans are NOT runnig, dummy light for blown fuses etc. A kill switch for water crossings is a good idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Engine acceleration and throttle response can be greatly improved by getting rid of the weight and aero drag of the mechanical fan...good points have been made on the water crossing issue...I'm looking at the Viper electric fan in the MP catalog...it's shrouded...comes with relay's and all...even has two speeds...and ya could kill it for deep water...last I checked it was only $89 bucks or something like that...RedEye

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input. I guess I’m a bit of a HP junky (last project was a 68 GTO that put out 460hp.) Anyhow the main reason I was looking into this is because one night after fourwheel’n, I some how managed to break loose the fan shroud. This was not good. It drop down a made contact with the fan, bent one or two fan blades and later wiped out the bearings in the water pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts