29 / Lift gate
30 / Washer
31 / Part time
32 / Full time
33 / Ignition
34 / LO
35 / All time
36 / 2 wheel drive

In addition the VIC has on board self diagnostics.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the info twojeeps! You can probably PM angelous for the schematics. I would FAX them myself, but my copy is a bit grainy, so I would think it'd be better to get the straight from the source.

I have a degree in Computer Engineering, so that's one of the main reasons why I figured it'd be a good rainy day project.

I've been putting a lift on my Jeep, so I haven't really touched the VIC yet. I figured that the chips would be soldered on and most likely unprogrammable. But perhaps I can figure out the input and output signals and just make up my own circuitry ;-)

·
Registered
927 Posts
hey i have a couple questions... i did the 242 swap in my truck is there a way to get the 2/4h full/4h part/n/4l to work??
would i need a different vic since my truck only came with the 4full and 4lo?

also i guessing the LO pin 34 is the low range indicator..

and what would the speed sense before in the VIC i dont everr remember it doing anything with tach or speed before. unless it uses that for the milage

·
Registered
3 Posts
SirFuego said:
Thanks for the info twojeeps! You can probably PM angelous for the schematics. I would FAX them myself, but my copy is a bit grainy, so I would think it'd be better to get the straight from the source.
Unfortunately I don't have a fax machine.

Do the schematics happen to identify the two chips on the display board?

Also, there is a PLCC chip on the other board, probably a CPLD or something. I did not write down the inscription on the chip, unfortunately. Does the schamatic list what this chip is as well?
I have a degree in Computer Engineering
Yep, me too
I've been putting a lift on my Jeep, so I haven't really touched the VIC yet. I figured that the chips would be soldered on and most likely unprogrammable. But perhaps I can figure out the input and output signals and just make up my own circuitry ;-)
That's totally do-able, I think. I imagine that the display uses standard logic signals, since the traces on the board go directly from the chips to the display.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I just started classes up again and things have been crazy.

I glanced at the schematics and wasn't able to see any chip numbers. It does show the pin numbers on the Graphic Display Module that the stuff goes into, but there is no information about the specs for the inputs and outputs. I wasn't able to see anything in regards to controlling what text actually gets displayed on the display.

This may sound stupid, but I was wondering what the ">>" symbol means. I haven't seen them on schematics before and wasn't able to find anything about them on the web. Angelous, is there a reference chart for the symbols and naming conventions they use for referencing other schematics?

If I get access to a scanner, I'll scan them in as a PDF and send them to you, twojeeps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just about a 15 year Anniversary looks like from the thread start, but honestly kind of tired of looking for this or that online and finding zilch. AKA the VIC' schematic' in this case. This is the 96-98 version VIC. If I ever get a couple of 93-95 models and the connector I'll have a crack at making one up for that version as well.

Might be of use to someone, somewhere at sometime. The schematic was done by stripping down a PCB and tracing everything out. The boards were not silk screened from the factory, that lettering you see on most circuit boards that designates what everything is and which one it is, aka R for Resistor, C for Capacitor, U for an Integrated Circuit and so on, then the number of which one it is, R6, C3, U1 etc, etc. So I had to label all of that so there is a point of reference or the schematic itself would be useless as well as impossible to keep track of everything.

(The VF Display and Switches are removed for clarity, first image)

(The connector and quite a few of the larger components are also removed to easier see where everything is versus scanning the entire thing complete, which isn't very pretty when done that way, last image)

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Font Microcontroller

Circuit component Hardware programmer Font Electronic engineering Electronic component

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic engineering

Circuit component Urban design Electronic engineering Hardware programmer Font

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Read-only memory

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts