Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1486 Posts

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
The strip continues.

Stainless 2.75" exhaust and fuel tank is out.
Huge muffler makes it way too quiet so won't be using it.

Cut the windscreen out. Then cut it up with my 9" grinder with a diamond blade. Next time though I will wear more than just shorts and sandals as was picking out the glass splinters from under my toes!

Like the arms on the rear axle. Nice and strong with decent sized bushes. Glad the arms are not the pressed tin ones.

Back end is clear of everything now. I can pick the whole rear up quite easily with all the weight of the engine forward of the front stands.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Those red steel wheels look great but I like the 5 spoke as well. Either way this project is going to be one of the most unique projects I've ever seen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think steelies painted body color with those Willys caps would be awesome, but that's just me. Hows the dash instalation going? I'm pretty sure the Willys cab is much narrower than the Cherokee's, will you have to narrow the dash? How about door panels? Going to keep the Willys stockers? If you cant make the ones from the donor fit right, you could always use them for inspiration and make some from fiberglass.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Whole cab will be widened 7" to make it the same as the rear as these came out with much wider rear track than the front. This will give me a lot of space in the engine bay as well as inside the cab. The cab is also going to lengthened the same amount as well to give me more leg room and means the grands seats can go all the way back as will be mounted on the grands floor. The grands firewall will also be used.
Will only be using the grand centre console from the back of the arm rest all the way to the top of the dash. Also the steering column and the instruments but not the dash itself as way to many curves to suit the Willys.
I am leaning towards the steel rims and caps as well and keen on red wheels but my wife wants body colour. Will have to see if even the red will fit in with the final chosen colour.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)

Got the coilovers out tonight.

The radiator is pretty big and planning on using it. The AC/ core also has the trans cooler in the top half and the power steering cooler sits in front of that again. The fan is run off the steering pump with electric control by the ECU.
Pretty deep though all up at around 9"

With the radiator out can finally see the Hemi!

Most of this will be hidden under the engine cover.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)

There was no way it was coming out through the top with the engine, tans and transfercase still all attached. Also wanted to leave it attached to the sub frame that holds the engine mounts, steering rack, lower suspension arms and front diff.

So up up and away. Lisa is manning (should that be womanning?), the engine crane. :)

Just look at the size of it all against the big grand for reference! How am I going to fit all that under the little light weight Willys??

Was hoping to be able to keep everything attached to the sub frame and go up under the Willys as is. Only problem is that the grille is 8-9" closer to the front axle centre line in the Willys than the Grand. The wheels would end up against the firewall. Actual engine bay length is pretty similar ( Willys 3" shorter but there was a couple of inches between the fan and the front of the engine), so that is good. :)

Looks good with that cover on. :)

Cover is actually a bit short to clear the forward upper cowl area of the Grand. Wonder if the cover from a 300C, Challenger or Dodge truck are longer that these engines also come in?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I left, but now I'm back because of you (and Nothingman, who has my old 5.9L) Great projects. I've always admired your XJ projects, and trailers. This is a gigantic undertaking, but your the one to do it. Amazing progress so far. I vote for the dark green, steelies painted same dark green, with the original hubcaps. Nice work, and fantastic shop you have there. Don't stop posting!

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks mate for going to the trouble of posting a reply. I leaning more to towards your suggestion as well with the paint colours.
I just deleted the same thread from Jeeps Unlimited actually so might keep this one going. Not as a nice bunch over there any more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
yes keep posting here! i am loving this build :)

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)

I was lucky enough that someone gave me a photo of their hotrod with red steelies on at a similar angle to mine, I was able to crop the wheels out and add them to my 32" trailer tyres. Think it looks pretty good.
Now as I am going to widen the whole cab 7" to match the width of the rear and cover the new front end, I want to stretch the cab length ways also to keep the proportions and get more leg room. So this is at stock length.

This shot shows the cab lengthened 3.5", or half the 7" I am widening the cab.
The bed is shortened 3.5" to keep the overall length the same.

Here I have stretched the cab 5.5" which is the same percentage as the cab will be widened, (13.5%). I took the cab length to be from rear of cab to the base of the windscreen.
The bed has been shortened 5.5" as well in front of the rear guard leaving the wheelbase the same as stock.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry, don't think I have the right color scheme....Yeah, Coral is pretty limited, I'm on CS4, makes things so easy, if you do a lot of photo, design work, it's the only way to go...

21 - 40 of 1486 Posts