Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about grands ..
(1) has anyone ever had a grand with a standard transmission in it , did they make them ?

(2) has anyone ever pulled out a 4.7l and put anything else in its place (like a 5.2 ,5.9 ,4.0L ) successfully without much hassle while keeping the original transmission and trans case that came with the grand ? I know that I will need the computer for the new engine .

(3) With respect to the afore mentioned computer , are the wiring harness's enough alike to just plug in the new computer for the new engine or do you have to change harness's too ?

Thanks in advance ..

·
Registered
478 Posts
What year Grand are you working on? as for the stick shift, I think it was 93 only. Maybe 94, but dont think so. If you want to put a manual in a newer one it would be a PITA would be easier to put chevy drive train in it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah we pretty much can't put a chevy engine in them anymore where I live , clean air tests are required here and unless it can meet or exceed specs for that year model you won't get licensed so that pretty much ruled out engine swaps unless you convert to much newer engine and use everything from donor .Also , I have a 91 cherokee that is getting pretty rusty but works really great , so I thought I may pull the AX15 out and stick it in my 96 grand ,cause I love a good standard and I don't think I ever saw a grand with a standard trans

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh the grand that I was asking about the 4.7l swap out is a 2002 or 03 can't remember have a bunch of them now

·
Registered
478 Posts
93 or 94 had a manual in the Grand. At least state side it did. I know there are slight differences for Canadian export, but not much. I had an 01 300m that was sold new in Canada and it had daytime lights, bigger brakes, and side airbags before you could get those options here. I know the emissions and safety stuff is stronger for you guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts