Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking for a mud tire to put on my WJ with 4 inch lift. I live in Colorado and just found these Firestone destination M/T for $150 a tire at tires plus. Tirerack.com has the same tire for $220 a tire. Not sure if this is a nation wide sale or if tires plus is even a nation wide store. Just wanted to give people a heads up on a good price.

Any questions let me know.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
What size are you getting?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I wouldn't run Firestone tires on any of my vehicles if you paid me, they are likely on closeout for a reason.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't run Firestone tires on any of my vehicles if you paid me, they are likely on closeout for a reason.
So Firestone tires have had a history of blowing up, what's life without adventure? I'm not saying they are the best tire on the market, or best looking, or most reliable, but it is a good deal for a mud tire for someone, like me, that is on a budget.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
So Firestone tires have had a history of blowing up, what's life without adventure? I'm not saying they are the best tire on the market, or best looking, or most reliable, but it is a good deal for a mud tire for someone, like me, that is on a budget.
So you would rather knowingly buy a crap tire to save a few bucks? By the way, they suck in the snow as well. Best advice is to swap to a 15in wheel and run a 31x10.50 or 32x11.50 tire, good used sets are easy to come by.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Firestone tires are decent tires, they have been making performance racing tires for decades. I am not sure about the numbers of blowouts they had, but I bet they have made some changes in the last 15 years to improve general use tire quality.

IMO, The 90's tire blowout and rollover fiasco was blamed on Firestone. Ford spent big $ on pushing the blame. In reality, it was a time when many people who had once driven passenger cars were switching to SUV's like the Explorer. We have always had tire blowouts, but I see them happening less and less as tires improve. What happens when you place a driver into an SUV that has always been in a passenger car, and then a tire blows and they overcorrect...they're more likely to roll.

I agree with UT ZJ that they will not be a good tire on the roads in the winter months, no mudder really is. But the firestone has zero siping. I think that the BFG mudder and the Firestone would be the worst mud tire on snowy roads.

Assuming this is a Daily Driver, and that your conditions in CO are similar to mine in Northern Utah, I would recommend the Duratrac (Just DON'T get a load range E Duratrac, it should come in a C or D in that range) or a BFG A/T. The duratrac is a more agressive A/T, and it gets even better ratings than the BFG for snow driving. The BFG is a great tire, and served me well for years of road driving, and many trips to moab. Overall, it is the best tire I have owned on a Jeep. My wife wanted something more agressive, so we went back to the GY MTR. The duratrac is only made in a load range E in my size, and those ride funny on a WJ IMO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 85IrocZ-28. I agree that it will not be great on snow roads. This is actually a 2nd vehicle used many for hunting, camping and having fun. I do use it on bad weather days because I would rather have someone crash into it instead of my daily driver. That is why I am going with such an aggressive mud tire.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
In that case, they will likely be a great tire for you.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Check out the Kumho Road Venture M/T. They were cheap when they first came out but I haven't priced them lately. I've had good luck with Kumho tires in the past.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Another note on the Firestone/Ford Exploder fiasco: Ford wanted to make it harder to "hook" a front and flip the rigs, so they dropped their factory recommended pressure to within 2 psi of the absolute minimum for that load and tire. Yeah, the plan was to give the fronts a bit less grip on pavement cornering, so they'd plow and understeer before the rig could roll. But that meant if you followed Ford factory recommendations, and your tire gauge was wrong by 2 psi or you leaked down 2 psi, or foolishly checked air when the tires weren't really cold, then you ended up with an overloaded/underinflated tire on the front that was likely to fail at sustained highway speeds. Yay Ford!

I would not put Bridgestone/Firestone down as worse than any other manufacturer these days.

We have 255/85R16 Toyo Open Country M/T rubber on our WJ with 5½" Rock Krawler suspension. From what I've been reading lately, I might have been better off to put those Toyos on my F250 and go with BFG Mud Terrain T/A on the lighter Jeep. But we wanted something durable. Sure load range E is overkill, but we're not setting it up for comfort.

I'm working at Ross Powerhouse today, and the Operator's work rig for running up the Jeep road from the Powerhouse to the dam is about a 2000 Cherokee with little 215/75R15 Mud Terrain T/A tires. It seems to do OK (although my other work rig for when the road gets really bad is a snow cat :D).

Search for reviews and tests of the tire you want to learn about, hopefully in a size/profile close to what you intend to buy. It's not the name on that side that matters, it how well it works in your application.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If it is not really being used as a dd id say go with it, Duratracs are a good well priced tire and is what I will most likely be getting

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Maxxis bighorns?

I ran Firestone Radial 23 degree MTs back in the late 80s in college. Great tires.

Hunter

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I run these on my Ranger and just ordered a set for the Jeep,

these things dig and I mean thru the snow thru the ice and to the ground..

Sigma Mud Claw

they were digging up mud thru 3' of snow and ice, never got stuck

they make them 15" - 17"

I paid $560 for 4 31/75R-15's

link...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks like a pretty aggressive tire. Most of the voids are on the outside, leaving a pretty narrow dense center section to "cut through" to hard ground.

Let us know how these hold up on the highway after you've had them a while. Most of us spend more time on the road than we do off road, much as we may prefer otherwise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my set on the ranger is over 2 years old, I can't tell that they have worn at all

I took them to the mud runs we have every year, I placed 2nd in my class with them at street pressure..

can't wait for my new set to get here..

Living up here in North Dakota we drive from one extreme to the other due to our climate changes, these hold the road great thru snow ice rain and whatever I've run into..

·
Registered
50 Posts
That sounds like a pretty good endorsement. I'll have to keep the Sigma Mud Claw in mind. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts