Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyones opinion on the best performance mod that can be made to a 5.2 for under $75?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of things along the lines of cusotm K&N cones, accel coils, things like that.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would go for a K&N direct replacement filter..around $40.

The FIPK kit is better but it's around $300.

Then you'll need a free flow exhaust (cat-back), this will set you back another $300-500.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I suppose it depends on what kind of performance your looking for. I vote for a skid plate myself but for power how about a tune up with platinum plugs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Make you own home brew air intake for 50$$ I can email you some pics of mine if you want. I have a heat shield and all. darnn, it works too..
Sam
p.s. we just made one for a buddy's 318.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Assuming your plugs/wires are good, I would go for the Accel Coil and K&N drop-in; this will just under $100.

·
Registered
643 Posts
BB is an idea...
You could also consider a good tool kit for the back. I know its not a performance mod, but it can never be overrated. I bought a collapsable crate from Target ($7) then went to Wally world and bought a cheap 60 pc automotive repair kit ($20), threw in a few quarts of fluids - (Gear oil, brake fluid, ATF, and the standard 30W motor oil) a tire patch kit ($5) some rubber gloves, shop rags, a funnel, flashlight, and a roll of duct tape. There you go, for about fifty bucks, you've got your basic trail tool kit. I must say its saved my arse more than a few times!
More performance, I guess you could peice together a better exhaust with $75 bucks a month or so...
I'll leave it at that, hope this helps.

Hank

·
Registered
290 Posts
Using Pennzoil 2CYC. out board oil in your fuel tank (abt half pint per gal. or less)will lub. pump gyrator,injectors,upper-rings & valve-stems.also will cool valve-seats and (as I found with my 401+ cid fsj) will clean carboned-up spark-plugs. This has also worked in 3 nissan v-6 engs. It worked in my 360 but it is an '81

·
Registered
290 Posts
I goofed... use 2cycle out-board oil one pint per 20 gal. first time, then half pint or less every other 20 gals.......my '99 larado v-8 quat-drive out ran its shadow the other day.... My '76 401 fsj has been over 261 colorado mtn. passes in the last 17 yrs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
who has the accel coil. That is what I think I am going to add next. Does adding 2cycl oil hurt anything?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the Accel coil. Its an OEM replacement. You can gap your plugs at .040 instead of .035 with it. Smoother idle. Didn't notice too much of a power increase.

For some cheap HP, you can hog out the air intake right behind the grill and get some ram effect. First I cut away some metal that was blocking the intake. Then I split the plastic intake and widened the opening. Added some thin sheet metal pieces for ram air and then taped the whole thing up with metal tape. Couple that with a K&N dropin and you'll feel the difference.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Howdy Y'all'uns..Quality brands of out-board oil have a very low ash content so they burn clean. Remember, it's the only lube for a 2 cyc. eng. such as Lawn-boy mowers.I checked with two automotive cem. engineers about fouling the cat. conv. and they said "no way".I've had alot of trials and all are succecesful. You get more power and better miles per gal. with less friction. I don't know why it cleans carbon off of the plugs but saved a ton of $ on my FSJ & the wifes nissan quest. I think injectors need lube once and a while. works for me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does marvel's mystery oil do the same thing? I really have no clue, sorry.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I used Marvel Mystry oil in 1951 in my '50 plymouth. And my dad used it in his '50 landcruiser (Studebaker). The system was a bottle with a needle valve hooked up by a tube to a plate under the carb. Eng. vacuum sucked the oil. the oil didn't burn very clean so it wasn't that good for the s.plugs. Older Texas trucks running above 10,500' alt. in Colorado tend to foul their s.plugs because our Colorado cohorts like to play jokes on us and cut OFF the oxygen then give us Coors. The over-rich fuel fouls the plugs. The Coors fouls the brain. I've been using the o.b. oil since 1986 in my FSJ and now in my later WJ,Frontier 4x4,Sentra and others traded in. the oil has fixed injector problems for me in 3 different cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if a under-drive pulley is available for 5.2 or 4.0's? I think this would be a nice mod, but would most likely be over 75.00

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone know the size of plug to get for the stock IAT location. Any writeups or pics?

·
Registered
4 Posts
the march underdrive pullies for
magnum engines worked out really
for me but they are $175 from
Summit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts