Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the right side carrier bearing in the differential on my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with quadratrac. Now I'm putting it back together but can't find specs on how much and how to measure the gear lash. I'm pretty certain there needs to be some free play between the gears, not snug, but how much or how far should I turn the left side adjuster once zero lash is obtained?

This is my first time working on a differential so I don't even know what's the name of the adjuster or the tool used for this adjuster. My guess is the tool is about as long as the axle with a big hex head on the end of it. The adjuster is part number 3 in the parts diagram attached.

Could anyone help me with this, please? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a procedure for setting ring and pinion lash and carrier bearing preload. The steps are:
Tighten carrier bearing cap bolts to AA adjusting torque value. Too tight and the adjuster will bind, too loose and they'll strip the threads out of the dif housing.
Back off the right side adjuster until there is XX amount of lash.
Run in the left side adjuster until there is zero lash.
Run in the right side adjuster until there is YY lash.
Torque the cap bolts to final value BB.
The values for your rear are in the FSM.
This is the best I can help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, MM. I finally found a YouTube video demonstrating how to do it in pretty good details. I haven't figured out how to post it here, yet. When I do I will be sure to do so. Right now I'm waiting on the special tool that is needed for this job to arrive UPS.

Try this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts