Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tossing around the idea of sacrificing my 04 special edition 4.7l to a custom build FWD project.
The project will be a low rider flatbed that needs to haul about a ton on surface streets and highways only. I need the project to be reliable enough for long distance drives.

In the interest of keeping things as simple as possible, I'm wondering if I can just take the entire front half of the drive train as-is and drop it into the project without a rear drive shaft attached.

I know there are other ways to do this, but my WJ is a strong-running, rust-bodied goldmine of parts that could solve a lot of custom fabrication and procurement issues. Its also nice from a custom build perspective that the front axle is ahead of the engine, unlike a traditional FWD drivetrain.

I dont know enough about the transfer case to know if this is going to cause problems or not. Thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might be true, but do we have any hard data to support it?
An awful lot of "knowledge" out there in the world is only "tribal knowledge" that sometimes fails to stand up to scrutiny.

·
525 Posts
249 and 247 later boxes had solid main shaft that drives rear axle with front axle supplied by the viscous coupling/ fluid coupling and a fully locked low range via gear drive

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
249 and 247 later boxes had solid main shaft that drives rear axle with front axle supplied by the viscous coupling/ fluid coupling and a fully locked low range via gear drive
Thats the kind of explanation i was looking for, thank you. Perhaps I can figure out a way to keep a load on the rear shaft...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts