Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now i am looking at the rub exp 3.5 super flex or the other flex one. i am thinking that buying everything at once like this would be better than pieceing it together, but i am new to the jeep scene. i really want to build my jeep but i dont really know which is the best lift for what i want. (i really want to go up 8" but the wife would shoot me) its a daily driver and occasional off roading "machine" i want it be able to hang with the big boys on the trails and maintain good handeling for when she drives it. what would be the best lift for me? i see all these different things that are cheap to do for now but i dont know how well the suspension would hang together, like swapping springs from front to rear? is that the only thing you have to do to get a little bit of lift? you dont have to change anything else when you do this? man if anybody can help this fool out, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I've heard on this forum, the controlle arms that come with a lot of lifts are the same length as stock, so my 4x4 main man (Lee of Lee's 4x4)also stated this and advised me, and orderd me 4 Rancho 3" springs and a front track bar relocation brackit,4 shocks and boots for $500,It seems to be enough, It all went on easy and works fine. He advised me to later maybe get a rear track bar relocation brackit (Rancho does not make one) or a adjustable bar and I probably will someday. I have 31x10.50's on M/T 15X8,s and it looks great. I had to trim a little off the inside of the frount bumper cover and move (well, okay, BEAT) the piece of frount iner fender foward a little because the tire hit when turned and bounced but all okay now. Of course I do not plan on going RUBICON any time soon so this seems okay for now. Im Happy.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Buy the RE 4.5 kit and be done with it. It comes with everything you will need including shocks, longer brake lines, track bar bracket for rear, etc. Best bang for the buck. around $1200. you can always though a spacer up top if you want to hit 6 inchs or so. Piecing it together will cost you a lot more in the long run.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i talked to RE and they told me not to go with the 4.5 cause i have quadratrac. unless i wanted to change my t-case to the other one. so i have decided to go with the 3.5 super flex kit from RE. thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hockey Puck. You can run the RE just fine with the full time case. They are just listening to the lawyers and covering their back side. There are lots of folks out here using that set up.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree with Chris. Go ahead and get 4.5". I got the three inch Rancho, (really only about 2.5) and I'm already wanting bigger after less than a year. If you have to appease the wife, do all of the darnage at once. Then you won't get the "I thought you were finished with that thing!! Now what?!?" (got that last week when I stupidly mentioned long arms... DOH!!) Get 4.5" and if you want to go bigger, you can sneak in a 1" puck without her noticing too much. ;)
And no, the adjustable arms aren't the same length. That's why I have 6" of clearance in the rear, and 2" in front of my rear wheel. Just my $0.02.
Hank

·
Registered
47 Posts
When you go with RE 4.5 and throw up a 2" spacer to take it to 6.5, do you have to do anything with the drivetrain or anything? I heard that anything over 6" you have to at least get a drop pitman arm.

·
Registered
828 Posts
On 2002-04-11 14:28, greengrandy wrote:
on the subject of lifts, it is alright to add BB to an aftermarket coil?
Spring/lift manufacture's will say no, but most have already done it. You will most likely get some new vibes and have to play whith control arm lengths. If you have the cv boot front shaft it will be the first thing to brake, so you will eventually have to upgrade the front drive shaft. Also recommend adjustable track bars front and rear {orgs} and longer front brake lines will be a must. Plus longer shocks will be in order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts