Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading up on a few fuel injector mods and took the plunge today to try them out. Went to junkyard this morning and got injectors and did the work today in a couple hours on both Jeeps. This is what i got into: I installed 2000 & 2001 Dodge Neon 2.4L injectors in my Wrangler ( had to pull from both cars 4cyl's of course) and installed 1997 Ford 5.0 injectors in my 5.2 Grand Cherokee. These mods are prob. the biggest seat in the pants improvement i have done so far. Grand Cherokee pulls harder and noticed 2mpg better average and also idles smoother. The same with the Wrangler, its pulls harder from 1,2,& 3 gear than before, it idles about 50 to 75 rpm higher not very noticeable but much smoother. The difference in the injectors are the jeeps have 1 large hole whereas the others have 4 smaller holes which atomizes better and a little higher flow rate ....both are plug and play replacements. Only mods i had to do on Wrangler was bend the tabs on fuel rail as the Neon inj. are shorter. Not sure on all the years you can swap but as long as the connections are the same , i don't see any problem they couldn't work on any other Jeep as well, even the 4 cyl's. I recommend the mod and would be happy to assist in doing it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sorry to say but it's impossible for fuel injectors you give you any power. They might make your Jeep run better but that's it.

The only way for this to be a fair comparison is to test a brand new injector against another brand new injector.

·
Registered
260 Posts
maybe not on a dyno but the better atomization of the fuel should result in more efficient fuel burn and better throttle response which would = better mileage and less throttle to maintain cruising speeds.

·
Registered
371 Posts
What makes the atomization better?

Don't get me wrong I will get the Ford injectors for my ZJ too if someone has proof that they are better. But I'd like to see some evidence other than 6th grade theories.

I would be worried that by switching injectors that the PCM didn't have the correct injector data for, that it would not be able to control them as well as it did with the stock injectors.

·
Registered
260 Posts
6th grade theories??? your looking at an injector that sprays from 1 hole to one that does through 4 holes so four small circles offer more circumference than one large hole and the smaller spray patterns will mix the fuel and air better = same as stated above

·
Registered
371 Posts
6th grade theories??? your looking at an injector that sprays from 1 hole to one that does through 4 holes so four small circles offer more circumference than one large hole and the smaller spray patterns will mix the fuel and air better = same as stated above
Then how come the best injectors on the market for performance applications are one hole?

You have absolutely no proof to back up your claim, it's just a theory. Are you an engineer? Do you design fuel injectors for a living?

If 4 holes are better than 1, then how come every injector doesn't use 4 holes?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey just call Bill @ FIC 770-888-1662 he hooked me up with injectors for my 4.6 stroker
just a month ago, All matched flowed of 1% There Great''' dont buy used'' at a junk
yard, who, no's'''' if junkyarders even work, unless you really dont like your motor ?

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Sorry to say but it's impossible for fuel injectors you give you any power. They might make your Jeep run better but that's it.

The only way for this to be a fair comparison is to test a brand new injector against another brand new injector.
This comment is not correct. Injectors are very important. My passion in my high school days and until the Jeep bug bit me was messing with high HP engines. Even the Chevy guys like to use Ford injectors on the TPI and LT1 engines.

maybe not on a dyno but the better atomization of the fuel should result in more efficient fuel burn and better throttle response which would = better mileage and less throttle to maintain cruising speeds.
don4life always shares good info, he is correct. Atomization should improve, but by how much...that depends on the spray patterns of the single injector compared to the multi opening injector. The new injectors have pretty decent spray patterns that work well. The 1980's injectors that we had in the chevy TPI engines were not so great.

My Opinion: an injector with multiple openings will have a higher failure rate.
The best thing I have read in this thread so far is WJ 2000's comment about flow matches injectors. A flow matched set of injectors will yield the best results. I would run used injectors if they had been rebuilt, flow matched, and bench tested by a FI expert.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My Opinion: an injector with multiple openings will have a higher failure rate.
The best thing I have read in this thread so far is WJ 2000's comment about flow matches injectors. A flow matched set of injectors will yield the best results. I would run used injectors if they had been rebuilt, flow matched, and bench tested by a FI expert.
Thats Right'' Where xperts, so dont try this at home'' buy flow tested only''

·
Registered
5 Posts
I swapped in a set of #703 Bosch injectors 2 weeks ago on my 96 4.0 ZJ

The difference is immediately noticeable.

Sit here and hate on it all you want, but anyone who has done this swap will tell you the same thing. Engine runs smoother overall.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I swapped in Ford Cobra Injectors on my 4.6 stroker and it made a difference. My engine rpm's have slightly increased at idle and my throttle response is much better. Not sure about long term mileage because its a stroker and not concerned about it but overall it was well worth the small mod. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm willing to bet you could swap in a set of brand new OEM injectors and the "difference" (which no one has any proof of) would be the same.

Different injectors have different flow properties and thus require different injector data. Just because it works doesn't mean it's ideal.

Someone go dyno their Jeep with stock injectors with high mileage on them, then go swap out for brand new OEM injectors, and then finally Ford injectors or whatever else you think will be better. I'd like to see the gains from "better atomization".

Or hook a wideband up to your Jeep and show me proof of it holding stoich better at idle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think people understand that ultra fine atomizing does not make any difference. By the time the fuel enters the cylinder it is not liquid but well mixed gasoline vapor and air.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive been reading up on a few fuel injector mods and took the plunge today to try them out. Went to junkyard this morning and got injectors and did the work today in a couple hours on both Jeeps. This is what i got into: I installed 2000 & 2001 Dodge Neon 2.4L injectors in my Wrangler ( had to pull from both cars 4cyl's of course) and installed 1997 Ford 5.0 injectors in my 5.2 Grand Cherokee. These mods are prob. the biggest seat in the pants improvement i have done so far. Grand Cherokee pulls harder and noticed 2mpg better average and also idles smoother. The same with the Wrangler, its pulls harder from 1,2,& 3 gear than before, it idles about 50 to 75 rpm higher not very noticeable but much smoother. The difference in the injectors are the jeeps have 1 large hole whereas the others have 4 smaller holes which atomizes better and a little higher flow rate ....both are plug and play replacements. Only mods i had to do on Wrangler was bend the tabs on fuel rail as the Neon inj. are shorter. Not sure on all the years you can swap but as long as the connections are the same , i don't see any problem they couldn't work on any other Jeep as well, even the 4 cyl's. I recommend the mod and would be happy to assist in doing it.
i just did the injector upgrade to 4 hole on my 99 gc 4.0l and now I'm getting a code-p0172 fuel sys rich. any ideas as to why?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts