Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have caught a few people mentioning a front to back swap. What are they talking about? I bought a 94 zj last week and I am very interested in lifting it a little more.(It had 2" spacers when I got it). Any advice would be helpfull, keep in mind I am not rich.

·
Registered
414 Posts
In a nutshell,
The F2R swap consists of installing your front springs in rear. This will give you 4" of lift in back. Now you buy one of two options. 3" coils for the front and level the rigs stance with spacers, or, using 4.5" coils in front and leveling the rear.

Some people will say that a Tera 3.5" coil is perfect, while others will say something else. This lift combo IS NOT the same for each rig. The weight of an I6 vs. V8, coil brand, were front springs I6, V8, Up Country? There are so many variables, that you just have to bite the bullet and do it, then see what needs to be corrected.

I have steered quite a few people away from doing this, by recommending the purchase of one more pair of coils so you will have a matched set. This 1. takes the guess work out of it, and two will offer a better spring rate in the rear, as opposed to having a heavy spring that is used to hold the weight of the engine.

Now, with all lifts over about 1.5-2", you will need new shocks, relocate the track bars(Adjustable ones from JKS, RE, ORGS are quite popular, and aren't that expensive). If you wheel, extended brake lines for the front are needed. A popular inexpensive way to extend the front lines, are to use YJ stock lines. They are 4" longer than a stock ZJ.

HTH
M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot! Now I get it. Any further best practices? (lift,performance,best spent money...). My 94zj is a limited v-8,any advice is appreciated. Any mods will be posted with pics.
(at what point do i need upper or lower control arms?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tabu on 2002-03-04 13:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tabu on 2002-03-04 13:43 ]</font>

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think that the RE 4.5" lift is one of the more reasonably priced and complete kits that offer amazing flex right out of the box. It is a bolt on lift, no welding.

if you don't wheel that much, you can buy the 4.5" coils and still use your stock control arms. Most opt for new lower arms, same length, but they have a bend in them to clear the axle brackets. I've heard that some have ground away a little of the interfering bracket...........your deal, I'm not touching that one.

RE 3" coils are a no brainer to install, and will easily allow the use of 31" tires, 32" with a little plastic bumper trimming. Again, new shocks, track bars will be needed.

M.

·
Registered
234 Posts
MMYERS, you said that he will get about 4" in the back. I assume that the F2R will give him 2" and the spacer if he keeps it will give him the other 2". Did I understand that correctly? Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
for the f>r swap you only gain 3" in the back if you dont have the up-country springs...but if you have the up-country springs it will be closer to 4"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts