Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shaft Out

This on my son's '96 ZJ Limited.

So after stripping a cheap Chinese 8mm socket on the front axle shaft bolts, a quick stop into K-Mart for a Craftsman socket and 8mm little spanner, the shaft is out, and the nasty slow-speed turning sounds are gone. Funny it didn't feel locked up/bound up like a Chevy truck in 4-Hi, but it sure didn't sound good before the shaft was out.

The truck does feel a little less sure-handling; I think the engineers set up the shocks/springs/sway bars under the assumption that there was a front axle shaft there providing another linkage, so taking it away messes up the suspension set-up somewhat.

Was planning to drain/fill the front/rear axles. They were both overfilled and neither had a drain plug that I could find. I left that for another day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
249 tcase

Well I took off the front drive shaft from my 1994 jeep grand cherokee limited which is a full time 4 wheel. It's been about a thousand miles now. I believe I can hear the t case smacking into gear rather loudly sometimes or some loud noise down there. maybe it's the thing that would otherwise be turning the front drive shaft. anyway, it's drive-able right now but it was a last resort, since I was too broke to do a real fix on it and needed to drive it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a lifted 96 ZJ 5.2 4x4 and someone stole my first front driveshaft about 8 months ago. Ive taken several 400 plus mile trips in the jeep and never had an issue.. Well..... I take that back, it slips in the rain if i lay on it. About 4 months ago I had another front drive shaft made by Carolina Driveline, and put back in. It drove fine. No odd noises come from my transfer case on or off road. Never had any issues at all. Then someone stole that one too.. grrrrrrr.. :mad:

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Well I took off the front drive shaft from my 1994 jeep grand cherokee limited which is a full time 4 wheel. It's been about a thousand miles now. I believe I can hear the t case smacking into gear rather loudly sometimes or some loud noise down there. maybe it's the thing that would otherwise be turning the front drive shaft. anyway, it's drive-able right now but it was a last resort, since I was too broke to do a real fix on it and needed to drive it.
Make sure to use your e-brake in park. If you don't, one day you will find your jeep is rolling slowly away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Make sure to use your e-brake in park. If you don't, one day you will find your jeep is rolling slowly away.
this is too true, it happened to my friend on a steep driveway, he took out his front driveshaft and it just rolled down the hill into the woods :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

My 1995 Grand Cherokee v8 5.2l blown the cv joint from the front driveshaft, i was out of city so i drove it like 20 minutes at 20-30mph until i get my home since that day i have it parked until i change the front driveshaft (maybe getting a u-joint conversion) , i know about the issue of driving without front driveshaft...my question is, on this short period time, could be my transfer case damaged? thanks!

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
If you removed the d-shaft to get home, you should't have any problems. Just use your E-brake until you get a new driveshaft back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So what I'm gathering (although it isn't explicitly stated) is that the 247 isn't a problem to remove the front driveshaft. Can someone confirm that, or is it all speculation?

On a related note, the person I bought my 04 4.0L from lost the bolts for the driveshaft. The local dealer(s) are clueless, so before I have them order me the replacements, I want to confirm the bolts for the CV joint end of the driveshaft (to attach to the TC). The part number the guy gave me is 5015109-aa. Is this correct, and does it consist of two of the bolts with the curved washer (for lack of a better term) that connects the two? That would mean there are three of them (total of 6 bolts and three "washers"). Can someone look at a parts diagram and confirm for me? Can someone post the diagram for me?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just removed my front d-shaft and am gonna drive it 13 miles to my mechanic to have him change out the front yoke (I swapped in a '98 Dana 30). I've looked at the prices of reman 249s...I can't afford that right now, so the 13 miles is all I plan to drive it without the front d-shaft in place. I'll let yall know how it all goes.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
The cheapest fix is usually to find a t-case with less than 100k from a salvage yard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
well i never had any problems either without my front one i have a zj 5.9, and i removed
just to check the gas mileage and i ran like that for 3 months no problem but the gas was about the same do
and before this i use to have a 97 zj 5.2, did the same for like a year and nothing happen
o i forgot and im always burning my tires still good

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Correct, the 96+ 249 won't roll in park. Your 97 & 98 would both be fine.

Did you even notice a difference with gas mileage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correct, the 96+ 249 won't roll in park. Your 97 & 98 would both be fine.

Did you even notice a difference with gas mileage?
Not really i think city is around the same, only on highway i think i was getting 1 mpg extra. i was getting like 18 mpg going at 70 miles. but i have the msd cables, box, coil, spacer, and intake. now with the 4wd i get like 17

·
Registered
3 Posts
replacing both at the same time is wt should b done my 16 yr ol didnt believe they could be broke.......... jus a wrod f caution u can get a reman 4 like 300 or new for 800 my experiane was do them boff

·
Registered
2 Posts
think about this, when you put your transmission in park you are in a sence locking it from moving correct? well, when you lock it from moving how in the heck is the driveshaft going to move. on the 249 the front and rear turn together, when you remove the front driveshaft the front output will still spin like as if the driveshaft is still there. the rear will spin also, but when you put your tranny into park it cannot move. just cause the fronts not there doesnt mean the rear isnt going to lock. i have been running my 5.9 for almost 9 months without a front driveshaft with absolutely no problems. i have smoked my tires off in 1st thru 3rd gear and still have no issues. a good friend of mine has a 5.2 he removed the fornt driveshaft on his for awhile also had no issues.
The 93-95 249, 5.2/ 5.9 combo had the issue of rolling while in park without the front drive shaft and damaging the VC, the 96-98 does not have that issue.

Just saying

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the front shaft removed on my 95 Orvis after blowing the CV. Yes, it rolled if parked on a slight hill, yes it is bad on the VC. I knew this, but it is my DD and since I lived across the street from my job at the time it didn't see much driving without the front shaft, just enough to get me to the parts store then home to replace it...total of about 6 miles of driving. Would even think about much more then that...planning on replacing the NV249 with a NV242 down the line, the 242 does not have the VC and has 4 lock

61 - 80 of 81 Posts