Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited V8. Over the past month and a half I have had to replace the wheel bearings, u joints, and have the whole rear end rebuilt. The rear differential was making a horrible noise. So I got all that stuff fixed. It's a 12 year old truck. No biggie. Right before it went to the shop for the rear end rebuild there was a rattling/knocking from under the front end. It was only occasional. I couldn't get the damn thing to make the noise for the mechanic, so he couldn't offer any solutions. Turns out it was the front drive shaft. I ordered one from Kragens. It came with a lifetime guarantee(which is very important in this case). My dad replaced it. He mentioned that there were a couple of marks on each yoke. Within two days the boot over the front cv joint ripped and was completely gone. Went for a replacemtent and this time i helped him put it on. I noticed that you have to pull the front of the drive shaft into the yoke when you mount it. Went out of town and the boot ripped again. Replacement shaft again. I put it on myself and lined up both of the marks on the yokes. The boot ripped again. WHY WOULD THE BOOT KEEP RIPPING?! I know about the u joint shaft, but I am broke. Plus, I read that you have to replace the yokes to fit the u jointed shaft. Any advice? I am beyond frustrated.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
I am lost, I have never torn a boot on a driveshaft. I would look for a loose wire or peice of metal hanging above the driveshaft that may come in contact with it when your suspension compresses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered that. I looked at anything that might be rubbing or hitting. Nothing seemed out of place. If that were the case I'd think the original shaft would have had a ripped boot. The only thing wrong with it was something internal with the cv joint near the transfer case. I did notice that the original shaft was about 3/4" longer than the new one. I don't know if that makes a difference. Also, on the shaft itself, in order for it to fit into the front yoke I have had to pull on the part that mounts into the yoke. That slightly stretches the cv joint and the boot. The Haynes manual shows three different types of shafts. The example of the type of shaft I have shows a lock nut behind the front cv joint. It mentions not to adjust that lock nut. The shafts I have went through don't have any lock nut. I could try installing the shaft without pulling the the front end into the yoke, but it is going to stretch regardless if I do it or I just screw it in to tighten it. I am out of ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts