Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the PicknPull looking for a 242 tcase for a swap, I saw all the dana30 HPs on the XJs with double cardican drive shafts and thought maybe I should include a dana 30 hp swap in my rebuild.

I'll remind you that this is my '98 ZJ 5.9r, which also serves as my Winter daily driver and Summer tow rig. I'm trying to keep the cost down in my build and as an rookie 4x4 not needing fabricated $3k axles...

The "Patriots" at ARB USA here in my neck of the woods are super nice to us military 4x4 folks with some pricing discounts, so I had to take advantage of the Diff cover give away and grabbed the RD100 for the dana 30. the ARB airlocker also fits the HP 27spline 3.73>

A lot of information out there in forums, and often conflicting when it comes to Specs of years/makes. A day of reading forums on XJ Front Axles, I come-up with another menu of options. Let me check some SPECs with you guys/gals to narrow my criteria for finding donors: (again, be tolerant of my novice experience in these matters) Check my learning:
1. To get improvement over ZJ dana 30 lp, find - the XJ hp of >95 is the non-vacuum disconnect, 5-297x 760 u-joints.
2. Even better but rare - the 2.5liter and some XJ with towing package or "off-highway vehicle" package have 4.10 gears (best alternative to buying kit or dana 44 mode)?

Sorry for the length of this inquiry. It is hard to get all the data in one place.

Thanks in advance!

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Utah -
You are right - vague background and framing of the question. New guy trying to make sense of a lot of data and trying to guide the answer to my application.

Bottomline: I want to swap best possible dana 30 hp into a ZJ with limiting criteria of keeping cost down by using used parts and remains 27 spline, 3.73+ gearing to fit ARB locker I have.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Utah -
You are right - vague background and framing of the question. New guy trying to make sense of a lot of data and trying to guide the answer to my application.

Bottomline: I want to swap best possible dana 30 hp into a ZJ with limiting criteria of keeping cost down by using used parts and remains 27 spline, 3.73+ gearing to fit ARB locker I have.
Which gearing do you have or plan to run in the rear? Is your Jeep even lifted yet? Did you even read the link I provided?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Let me see if I can help...there are TWO different kinds of HP 30 from a Cherokee...VD and non-VD

95 and up have the better U-jointed shafts

Older 5-speed V6 and 4 banger models SOMETIMES have 4.10 gears, usually 3.73

4.0 with towing package SOMETIMES have 3.73, but usually 3.55

Unless you want to regear the Dana 44a, I'd look for one with 3.73 so it will bolt directly into your ZJ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gents - I stand before you embarassed as I've proved I'm niave and naked. Being so new to 4x4/drive systems, when I went to Pick-N-Pull and saw the t-cases connected to better drivelines and hp axles - I just started trying to put the whole process together too quickly. Now, both of you have asked about the rearend - which i wasn't even considering. duh? I got so excited trying to build the best piecemeal frontend I could, I never made the connection. I'll need to go back and really think about what I want the end product to be with this Jeep. So, unless there's a way to build a different front gear ration than rear - I'll delete the post and concentrate on my t-case swap for now.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Gents - I stand before you embarassed as I've proved I'm niave and naked. Being so new to 4x4/drive systems, when I went to Pick-N-Pull and saw the t-cases connected to better drivelines and hp axles - I just started trying to put the whole process together too quickly. Now, both of you have asked about the rearend - which i wasn't even considering. duh? I got so excited trying to build the best piecemeal frontend I could, I never made the connection. I'll need to go back and really think about what I want the end product to be with this Jeep. So, unless there's a way to build a different front gear ration than rear - I'll delete the post and concentrate on my t-case swap for now.
You can't run a different ratio front and rear unless you want to break things or remove the front drive shaft. A suggestion, figure out what you want the Jeep to become and its intended purpose, you can then figure out what you need to get it there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is also a good chance that you will want to re-gear the axles anyway so I wouldn't let gear ratio stop me from getting a good front axle from a later model XJ. In that case you would have the chance to have the same gear ratio in both axles once you do the re-gear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can tell you that my '96 ZJ with the tow package came with 3.73's. I am guessing that would be across the board for at least the '96 model year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you can also get the bigger U joints and a non disconnect back to 89 at least, with a Wagoneer with ABS and 242 case.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
you can also get the bigger U joints and a non disconnect back to 89 at least, with a Wagoneer with ABS and 242 case.
Sure, and spend $600 getting it set up to fit under the Jeep....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did this swap on my '93. I have a '95 D30HP that i regeared and then to get the better ujoints I used my ZJ ABS axles that came in my ZJ...worked like a champ...

Another thing to consider when swapping the HP for the LP is caster adjustment. The ZJ has caster adjustment at the axle while the XJ adjusts it at the vehicle end of the lower control arms...so unless you go with aftermarket adjustable lower control arms your going to have a hard time getting your caster right...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on Build - by CigarXO

On the prior page I basically intended to kill this thread because I decided I wasn't going to re-gear my rear-end and get so deep into a rebuild. Afterall, the ZJ 5.9r is a pretty capable 4x4 with an OME 2" coil and shock kit, and 31" BFG AT KOs. And it is my winter daily driver.

But God is obviously The Jeep Man and has recently shown favor upon me:
First, I stumbled on a complete Upper & Lower, Front and Rear set of Rubicon Express Superflex adjustable control arm kit for $300 on Craig's List.
Second, I tripped over a dana 44a Yukon 4.56 ring&pinion and master install kit for the rear-end for $150 on eBay - brand new.
Third, I just found a hub-hub dana 30 hp '98 large u-joint front axle for $150 on CL.
Fourth, I previously found a rare rear bumper fab for the ZJ for $150 - I know, what does this have to do with the driveline - the guy thru in a front Ujoint driveline for free $$.

So, as soon as I can find a 4.56 R&P for the dana 30 hp - I'll continue this thread and build.

Thanks UtahZJ and others for some very helpful advice!:)

CigarXO

PS - yes, the RE superflex joints have taken me two weeks to disassemble and rebuild. What a pain! I will not forget to apply anti-seize when rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I told you man, 5.9+4.56's+31's=not so fun. At least wait until you are ready for 33's or 35's.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Utah - I got it. Consider me warned. Unfortunately, or fortunately, that's the combo that's falling into my lap. Further, I've got a diff shop owner and Grand Cherokee expert in the area saying its the exact same combo in his brother-in-law's 5.9r, OME with 31" that is loved as a daily driver in the area. ???
I'm in the diffs now - so the gears for now, the 32-32 tires later.
Thanks for all the help.
Jeff

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd not change the front diff you have unless it is need of repair. get your 242 t-case and while there grab that double cardan driveshaft and the yoke off the diff it is attatched to. no need to worry about changing your stock gearing. just change the yoke and put in the better driveshaft.

you'll need your front driveline to come out of a v-8 model tho- the 6 cyl uses a longer front driveshaft.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Starting the Rebuild

Absent from the site working on a Master's degree and job change:

Starting the Front dana 30hp rebuild tomorrow to insert ARB locker and swap 4.56 gears.

Anyone have a good URL/site for the gear swap and/or instructions?

Thx.

CigarXO

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Build Update #1

Tore down the d30 hp last week, cleaned and painted. Hope to rebuild with ARB locker and 4.56 gears this week. Yes, taking time to replace all bushings & seals. The donor was a '98 JGC, so bolt-in with ABS, etc in tact.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zacgspojaq5tpmi/rA_GLP8Qmq

Thanks,
CigarXO

1 - 20 of 30 Posts