Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean come on, has anyone actually cut up there fenders? I have the rubicon Express 4.5 and 33" Pro Comp X-Terrains and I am tearing the fenders up, has anyone seen any pictures of trimming so I have a pattern, If not I will just see what happens. Has Anyone had this problem and if so how have you fixed it. NO SPACERS!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Extend your bumpstops more or trim away!

There is no pattern, just cut what rubs.
Nathan

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yup nate is right, and beleive everyword he sais, he has done some trimming in the past. he used to run 35's with 4.5 inches of lift. now i think he has like 5.5. but i will be putting on 33 and i'm trimming right now. just cut what ever rubbs. i will have picks soon

·
Registered
828 Posts
trim the lower front portion of your rear fender wells and adjust the control arms to push the rear axle back a bit. For the front replace the bumper and trim the pinch welds in the rear of the front well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have trimmed the pinch welds in the rear of the front fenders, the place im rubbing is when I flex it in the front the tires are hitting the very top of the fenders, what do you guys think of spacers, I have been told that they will mess up my geometry and 100 mph ride, but if I was to just do an inch ......

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have been told that they will mess up my geometry and 100 mph ride, but if I was to just do an inch ......
Why would you want to drive 100mph in a lifted vehicle??? :wacko: /forum/images/smiles/scared.gif

Nathan

·
Registered
519 Posts
Who told you that?? spacers are no diferent than getting biger springs it is just the "poor man's" or economical way of doing it. if you went out and spent $2000 on a RE 4.5" lift and want to go to 5" then why go out and buy 5" springs? you could just put a spacer on top of your spring and there will be no diference. the only thing that i could think of about geometry. now. it could be because your allready lifted and who ever told you not to use spacers really meant don't lift your jeep higher. could of said that because you could have a CV front drive shaft. Then he is right. or cause you could run out of play in your drop pitman arm. in that case then he is right but as for using spacers there is ABSOLUTLY nothing wrong with them. put them on. get and allignment and if you don't like our ride take them off. simple.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not quite the same. Longer springs = more spring travel = more suspension travel.

coil spacers just gives you more height, it doesn't improve the performance of the suspension any. Kinda like a body lift

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
By simply adding spacers, or longer coils, you will do nothing about the rubbing of the tires against the body. The bumpstops control how far the suspension will compress - if you don't change the length of the bumpstops, the tire will still travel upwards as far as it was before the spacers.

Either trim, or extend the bumpstops to avoid rubbing...

Jay

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts