Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No idea what happened, but my 94 Grand Cherokee just stopped getting power to the wheels. I tried searching for a few things, but didn't find any answers for this one. It feels like it's in neutral. The thing just won't move. It seemed to not want to shift a few times, then no power to the wheels at all. I had it towed, then started it a few days later and it wanted to move, but stopped as soon as it got warm. What the heck could cause this? :confused:

Fluid was checked in neutral, at idle.

Wheels occasionally felt like they locked on pavement in 4WH.

It stopped wanting to stay in 4WL a while back and I never got to that.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is it making any noise, like whining, grinding, etc? Did it seem to be whining a bit more than usual when you put it in gear when cold before it pooped on you completely? I'd look at the main front pump going bad, as it won't raise hydraulic pressure enough to move the vehicle...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As a matter of fact, I think it did! I can't do any work on it myself, because of illness. Any idea what that would cost for a mechanic to fix?

I keep reading about limp in mode too and thinking maybe that's it, but it did kinda whir last time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hate to say it but it sounds like your transmission is in need of a rebuild. It sounds like you have major slipping going on. When they warm up it gets worse.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hate to say it but it sounds like your transmission is in need of a rebuild. It sounds like you have major slipping going on. When they warm up it gets worse.
X2 on this. Had an Audi once... Tranny was just worn out. Started slipping one day and then refused to move. Took me four hours to make the 20 minute ride home. Cooled it down on the side of the road, drove until it slipped again and repeated. Turned out the clutch packs were just done...

·
Registered
153 Posts
If the trans starts slipping, the more you try to use it in that condition, the more you risk causing more damage to it. A problem that starts off simple like low fluid or a bad front pump can escalate into burnt up clutch packs and require a complete rebuild.

Sometimes an expensive tow is less expensive in the end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

X2 on this. Had an Audi once... Tranny was just worn out. Started slipping one day and then refused to move. Took me four hours to make the 20 minute ride home. Cooled it down on the side of the road, drove until it slipped again and repeated. Turned out the clutch packs were just done...
That's what my mechanic thinks too, only he's been working about an hours drive away with lots of O/T though and hasn't had time to tear it apart. I'm still hoping the filter just popped out, but I guess we'll see.

I thought it was odd for it to go that quick and didn't find any posts on it. I figured I'd post and see what turned up. Thoght maybe it was an easy fix, and still could be, so I'll try to leave updates. Looking at trying to get a Wrangler right now though.

Latest Update: Drove it two blocks to my house and it was whirring. I can't tell if it sounds like a clutch pack, or pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the trans starts slipping, the more you try to use it in that condition, the more you risk causing more damaging to it. A problem that starts off simple like low fluid or a bad front pump can escalate into burnt up clutch packs and require a complete rebuild.

Sometimes an expensive tow is less expensive in the end.
Solid advice Steve. It may be both at this point, but it happened pretty fast. I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
395 Posts
How long has it been since the fluid and filter were changed? I just had a car come in the other day that was working fine then he got off the highway and it was stuck in N, when it cooled down it would go into gear, as soon as it warmed up it would be in N again. I dropped the pan and thought I was changing the oil the trans fluid was so black. Flushed it out and worked like new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Would Be Nice

How long has it been since the fluid and filter were changed? I just had a car come in the other day that was working fine then he got off the highway and it was stuck in N, when it cooled down it would go into gear, as soon as it warmed up it would be in N again. I dropped the pan and thought I was changing the oil the trans fluid was so black. Flushed it out and worked like new.
Sounds like you might be a mechanic. Thank you for the post and your help.

When I bought it, 5 years ago or so, the dealer said they changed it, but they also seem kind of shady to me at that particular place. My mechanic looked and said it seemed kind of dark and maybe a little burned. It certainly can't hurt to try a fluid change and see what happens. Any idea if this is common and how long it might last if that fixes it for now?

Oh yeah, and in that 5 years it hasn't been driven very much at all, maybe 25k miles.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Most dealerships will say that. It wouldn't hurt to try, it would be a cheap fix if it works but when you drop the pan and do a filter change you only change a fraction of the fluid. Once you change the filter and fluid you may want to do it again after a few days if it drives or flush it after that. If you flush it now a lot of the crud and metal shaving in the filter and in the pan will be pushed through all of your tranny lines and you have a better change of causing more damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most dealerships will say that. It wouldn't hurt to try, it would be a cheap fix if it works but when you drop the pan and do a filter change you only change a fraction of the fluid. Once you change the filter and fluid you may want to do it again after a few days if it drives or flush it after that. If you flush it now a lot of the crud and metal shaving in the filter and in the pan will be pushed through all of your tranny lines and you have a better change of causing more damage.
Thanks, I will definitely try this as soon as I can and let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If the trans is slipping and you keep driving it, the clutch packs will get burnt up and so will the fluid. Even new fluid will get dark if put in a broken/slipping trans.

Wheels occasionally felt like they locked on pavement in 4WH. It stopped wanting to stay in 4WL a while back and I never got to that.
Sounds like the transfer case has issues too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Transfer Case

Probably a stuck linkage and maybe a chain adjustment. Not a hard fix, if that's it. I'll do that when I change the fluid. The transmission never slipped, it just stopped wanting to move.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts