Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited.

If I lock the Jeep using the key fob the driver's door doesn't actually lock, and if I open it, the factory alarm sounds. A little embarrassing if ya know what I mean.:D Its like I'm breaking into my own car if I don't unlock it with the fob.

Should I reprogram the key fob?

· Registered
3,447 Posts
hmm, you could try reprogramming the key fob. the factory alarm thinks you are arming it (obviously), but the locks aren't cooperating.

I'm sure you know this, but putting the key into the door and turning it will shut the alarm off.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'll try reprogramming it. Funny thing is, I press it once, some doors lock. Then remaining doors lock on the second button press. Then to unlock, its sort of the same thing. One press unlocks the doors, the second finally unlocks the rear lift gate.

· Registered
197 Posts
ya the problem is in the actuators. reprogramming the fob will not change that.

fix your actuators- until then you can disarm a armed system by using the key(not the fob) on the liftgate- once interior lights come on you can safely open the doors without the alarm blaring. also if alarm does go off you can stop it the same way- use the key in the liftgate.

· Registered
2001 WJ 4.0L, 157,000mi
20 Posts
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited.

If I lock the Jeep using the key fob the driver's door doesn't actually lock, and if I open it, the factory alarm sounds. A little embarrassing if ya know what I mean.:D Its like I'm breaking into my own car if I don't unlock it with the fob.

Should I reprogram the key fob?
I have a 2001 GC 4.0, pristine, 169K,with a new Jasper motor in Feb 2022 at 157K((a whole separate story).
For several years I have had intermittent alarm go off esp after washing it or when very cold outdoors(25 deg or <). It has been more frequent in past 2 months when using key on driver side lock. The map light would not illuminate consistently when turn I key counter clockwise. My buddy told me to unload a complete can of lock deicer ( alcohol base, not graphite)into key hole directing spray up/down/right/left- cured!! No more alarming and map lights illuminate EVERY time, key rotation and extremity smoother rotation.
Thanks to all on this forum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts