Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which catback system to go with. I am looking for one to get a good power boost from as well as a good sound. As far as the sound goes, I'm not looking for the loudest possible. I'd like a deep powerful sound at idle, however I want to be able to make it scream when I give it the gas. Anyone know how the Gibson Catback system is? I'm basically trying to decide between that and Flowmaster (not sure what series yet). Any input would be very helpful!
My other concern was with a K&N FIPK, I run in very dusty conditions and was concerned that these cone filters would let in a lot more dirt while getting that better air-flow. Will this allow more trash to get into my motor? I want the better performance, but not if negative things will come from it as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
email this man. his name is nick. he has the best set up and the best price on mike leach headers and 3"exhaust.

[email protected]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nick (kolak) is very knowledgeable and has some good recommendations.

A cat-back will not really do you a lot of good unless you also have the pancacked downpipe replaced. I'd pay a local shop to replace that piece first. Also, don't be afraid to try something other than Flowmaster. In my experience, Dynomax does a great job as well for much less $$.

As far as the FIPK goes, a cone filter does let more dirt particles in than a paper filter. However, they have socks that fit over the cones that do not add restriction of air flow, but help to filter smaller dirt particles.

You'll be happy with both mods on a ZJ.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a polished stainless steel dynomax ultraflo on my wife's Durango with the 318 and it sounds great. It really growls when you step on it but not like a cheap cherry bomb. I also run dual dynomax race series mufflers on my xj which is just a tad quieter than running straight exhaust (drops only 3 decibles from straight exhaust) with the exception that the chevy 350 motor in it does sound a lot deeper than straight exhaust.

As for the cone filter. If you use a oil and cotton gauze style (K to name one) it will trap a lot more particles than a paper element as the micro size is smaller BUT you must make sure that the filter has been oiled. It is the oil that keeps the small particles out of the engine not the gauze. The filter wraps for cone filters just adds a second layer of protection while sand running.

89 XJ chevy 350, weind, holley, taylor, mallory, AA, jks, RC 4.5", 10" hellcats, 33x12.50 mtr's, 6" tj flares, cut fenders, xd9000i, 3/8" plate winch bumpers... http://community.webshots.com/user/extremeoffroad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SKEETER on 2002-03-24 22:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help, I definately don't want to do something that is going to cost an arm and a leg, but I know that the factory setup is far from what it could be. Thanks again!

·
Registered
234 Posts
My opinion would be to order the FIPK from K&N that takes the air from the stock location. Cold air is denser and helps to make more power. Unless you are sand running I would not bother with the wrap. I have been running a functional ram air hood on my wifes durango and our 97 dakota before that with a 14" K&N and have had no problems. Even in driving rain storms at almost triple digit speeds and also blizzard conditions since 97 and I wash it with the K&N cleaning kit twice a year or more if needed and have well over 100K on it.
As for the Dynomax, I don't want to lead you astray. Do not get the race series mufflers as they are not street legal and with the durango and xj parked side by side idling, I can not even tell the durango is running.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to get that K&N FIPK, I do run on the beach all the time, but I can get the wrap for it, how much does that cost? Thanks again

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have not ordered one for my xj as I am trying to figure out were I can run it instead of the stock location. I have my eye on that spot for a second battery like I did on my xj for the winch to use. Call it overkill. Since I don't even have my winch bumper yet (waiting for a car to sell) I am in no hurry. I suspect it will be in the $200 range.

89 XJ chevy 350, weind, holley, taylor, mallory, AA, jks, RC 4.5", 10" hellcats, 33x12.50 mtr's, 6" tj flares, cut fenders, xd9000i, 3/8" plate winch bumpers... http://community.webshots.com/user/extremeoffroad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SKEETER on 2002-03-26 10:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
726 Posts
dont worry about sand getting into the engine with the k n. it wont . if you do lots of offroading in the desert or on dusty trial then i would get the sock. or ive heard that you can put a nylon stocking over it for the same effect.

if you want to spend less money do a search on how to build your own cold air kit. here and on http://www.jeepsunlimited.com

get the whole deal from kolak. the headers come with the y pipe and he has a great 3 inch exhaust and muffler set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts