Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am going to be putting a Flowmaster 40 on my WJ, I was just wondering if anyone had the measurements of the stock muffler? The stock exhaust is 2.25'' correct? Sorry for being so lazy, its Friday and I am stuck at work, any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
2.5" i think...research, it's a common subject

·
Registered
990 Posts
It's 2 1/4 for the 5.2L. Don't go bigger than 2 1/2 though

·
Registered
690 Posts
Kolak and Kevin recommend 3 inch for the V8 and 2.5 inch for the 4.0L

·
Registered
990 Posts
I personally don't think the 5.2l blows enough exhaust to have a 3". This is my opinion. I am making $0 from this statement.
I now have a 5.7l Vortec in my Suburban and I stayed with the stock 3". Remember, read what I have posted in the past on this subject.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On the 4.7 WJ, the stock muffler is 2.25" in and 2.50" out. You didn't specify if you have the 4.7 or 4.0. An effective exhaust mod on the 4.7 WJ is a 2.5" Carsound cat, and elimination of the 2.25" restriction between cat and muffler. Add a 2.5" muffler of your choice. I like the Flowmaster 70 on my 01 4.7 WJ; not too loud, not too timid - it's just right.

I'm running the FM Super 40 on my 5.2 ZJ - it sounds good, but it would perhaps be a little loud for everyday use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone, I have the 4.7. I have a high-flow cat already now I just need to decide if I want the 40 or the 70, decisions decisions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So split the difference and get the 50SUV - I think the 3-chamber Flowmasters (50, 70) have a better overall sound quality than the 40 series (two chamber). I'm running the 50 SUV on my 4.0 MJ, and I am considering replacing the Super 40 on my 5.2 ZJ with one.

·
Registered
990 Posts
peltandra said:
So split the difference and get the 50SUV - I think the 3-chamber Flowmasters (50, 70) have a better overall sound quality than the 40 series (two chamber). I'm running the 50 SUV on my 4.0 MJ, and I am considering replacing the Super 40 on my 5.2 ZJ with one.
70 series is a two chamber too just longer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Save money and go with straight pipe from the factory CAT to the back.

Not much louder then the FM40, which I had for a while.

·
Registered
59 Posts
xtianknight said:
peltandra said:
You are incorrect.

www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

scroll to bottom of page for description of FM70 which clearly specifies that it is a 3-chamber design.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JohnBoulderCO said:
Save money and go with straight pipe from the factory CAT to the back.

Not much louder then the FM40, which I had for a while.
I would LOVE to go with a straight pipe cat-back, but I doubt that my Jeep would pass emissions. I had a straight pipe on my 88 XJ from the cat back and loved the sound, luckily I knew someone who would pass me, unfortunately dont live in that state anymore. 40 series here I come.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Muffler has no affect on emissions, only sound. Depends on the state if you need the muffler. You need the CAT for emissions.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I run a flow 40 on my 4.0 and have gotten used to it for everyday driving but my neighbors are still not used to it. :lol:

·
Registered
990 Posts
peltandra said:
xtianknight said:
peltandra said:
You are incorrect.

www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

scroll to bottom of page for description of FM70 which clearly specifies that it is a 3-chamber design.
Opps! You're right

·
Registered
990 Posts
JohnBoulderCO said:
Muffler has no affect on emissions, only sound. Depends on the state if you need the muffler. You need the CAT for emissions.
Does the exhaust stay longer in CAT because of the muffler? Thus, passing smog better?

·
Registered
2 Posts
the 4.7 has a 2 and quarter into the muffler stock, you'll tell a difference with a 40 series and 2 and half inches at least cat back. the 50 series has a more mellow sound, i dont like it as well at the 40 but both are nice

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought a 3in exhaust from Kevin 3in cat, 3in muffler(70) tailpipe is of course 3in. The guys at the muffler shop had a hell of a time squeezing it in there but after a couple of trips back for adjustments it seems to running without rattling. CarX is awesome for exhaust, I bet I paid about $65 for over 3 hours of labor. I have the 70 series muffler and sound is nearly perfect.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have kolak's system and it is awesome it sounds like a v8 should i think a 40 series would be way to loud i would get the system from either KOR(which is kolak's system) or directly from kolak here is a like to kevins site http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/exhaust.html and a link to send kolak an email mailto:[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally don't think the 5.2l blows enough exhaust to have a 3". This is my opinion. I am making $0 from this statement.
I now have a 5.7l Vortec in my Suburban and I stayed with the stock 3". Remember, read what I have posted in the past on this subject.
My 5.2 v8 93 limited grand Cherokee blows over 100 db stock exahust but im probly going to cut pipe out and add the flow key fob pack to mak it 200db and gain 15 hp

1 - 20 of 20 Posts