Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So close now. Worked on it sunrise-to-sunset through the weekend. I was not actually working on it the whole time because at least 6 hours of that time was spent dicking around running to various stores to pick up missing hardware etc. Plus I started drinking early both days.

Here's that f***ing motor mount bracket that caused so much pain:

Motor mount bracket and track bar bracket bolted back on. Wasted alot of time tracking down the required metric 10.9 hardware:

Replacement front bump stops that the stealership gouged me $90 for:

Positioning the front axle:

Dialing in the caster angle. Factory calls for 7 degrees positive. With the larger tires I figure anywhere from 3-7 should be OK. I can tweak it later if necessary but I really don't want to because adjusting those control arms is a PITA:

Sliding the springs into place. Dropped the axle down off the jack stands and never needed the spring compressor:

Install knuckles, outer axle seals, axle shafts, and unit bearings:

Install brakes:

Bolted up the driveshaft. The old low pinion axle used a longer pinion gear while the new high pinion axle uses a short pinion gear. I was hoping the two effects would cancel. As you can see by the bare spot on the slip yoke they did not. Driveshaft is stretched about an inch with barely a half inch of extension left. I can probably get away with it for a while but before too much longer back to RI Driveshaft I go:

Adjusting the trackbar:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Continuation of previous post since you can only have 10 pictures per post . . .

Here she is sitting on all fours again:

Plenty of room in the wheelwells now. Those 32's are looking small. I could probably fit 35's but plan to stick with 33's (305/70/R16).

Still some work left; plumbing the rear brakes, shocks, and something for exhaust behind the cat.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Here's how I routed the brake lines:

This was actually attempt number 2 since attempt number 1 I routed them right where the bump stops (not shown) will contact the axle.

What are you planning for shocks? RockZJ
I was planning Bilstein shocks. In fact they were supposed to be here tomorrow. When I ordered them I specifically asked twice if they were in stock and ready for shipment and they (Shockwarehouse) said yes. So now I get a voicemail telling me the distributor did not have them and they will not be delivered tomorrow. And I was supposed to drive to the exhaust shop tomorrow evening (after installing the shocks).

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Some of the final details.

Built some custom rear bump stops from 3"x1.5"x0.120" rectangle tubing, bar stock, and 4" XJ "upcountry" rear bump stops:

You can see the intalled bumpstop in this picture along with the custom stainless tailpipe and Aero muffler (won here on NGACA!):

Bilstein stocks all around. The mounts were designed so the same part number fits all four corners. Had to pull the ABS pump to install the driver's side JKS stud eliminator. No more dealing with those PITA studs:

Custom made some tabs for the steering stabilizer:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Went to the NEA4WD's Fall Crawl up in NH last weekend. First wheeling trip with the new axles and suspension. Everything worked flawlessly except on the way up Friday night I smoked the waterpump 16 miles from the registration desk. Luckily the parts store was still open and a local garage opened up to help me fix it:

The Ocean State Jeepsters campsite:

Some pics from the trails:

Video of my buddies XJ on one of the slippery downhill sections. You want to squeeze your pucker hole on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2M1-oKGeY8

Got a customized tailpipe and small dent on the door from the Carnage Hill trail:

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
i still have a socket inside my unibody frame from it detaching from my extension while taking the rear uppers off on the drivers side. it rattle and drives me crazy at all times
Roni, if its in the back pull the rear bumper and brackets and youll be able to get to it. Eric, those are some nice pics and the first damage is always the hardest! Going through your thread just reminds me of mine. The countless hours spent wrenching on it and then getting it out on the trail the first time is really amazing! Glad to see you got it all together and the water pump didnt hold you back

RockZJ

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Eric, those are some nice pics and the first damage is always the hardest!
Definitely not the first damage Rock. The vehicle has been in the family since it was brand new. In that time I've replaced fenders, doors, liftgates, door handles, mirrors, lights, and grilles. Its the cost of business when bushwacking on the trails we have here up in NE!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Cool pics, rig is lookin good!! Carnage and all LOL

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Ocean State Jeepsters did a trail ride last weekend on some new land we call G2. The trails are fairly mild now but there is potential to cut some new (more challenging) trails if the relationship with the land owner works out. Lots of stumps and I hate stumps! There were a couple fun hill climbs one of which cleaned out the drivers door when my daughter lost control:

Oops:

Made it up on the second attempt but I screwed up the video:

A steep downhill section made extremely slippery from about 2" of rain the day before. As always still photos do not convey the real scenario but the video gives a good feel for it:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
That looks like a beautiful place to wheel!!!

All I have are deserts and dry mountains.

Good Stuff!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Footage from last weekends trail ride.

Here's my buddy trying to drive off a miniature cliff. At this point the fender and A-pillar were already dented so we winched him back up:

The easy way down:

A couple videos. The first is my buddy going up one side of a little hill and the second is me going down the back side:

So far, the Clayton suspension and new axles are working out great!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
A couple videos from last weekend's trail ride:

Picked up a Superwinch and ordered some Super Swampers:

Designed a belly skidplate. Green is the existing structure. Blue and red are the new skidplate. Just need to finish up the dimensions before ordering the steel:

We have lots of trail rides planned for this season. Stay tuned for the footage!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice jeep! Watching those vids got me excited about this summer. What size tires did you order? Also curious to see how the skids will turn out.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Time for an update. It will probably take 2-3 posts to fit everything in. First, I bolted on my Superwinch and it was stolen from my driveway a few days later before I could weld the bolts! I'm still following up leads and if I ever locate the scumbags lookout. In the meantime I bought another one.

A few of us from OSJ wheeled with New England Jeepz back in March. Lots of carnage. Finally tally for me was 1 front axle shaft, 2 ball joints, rear passenger door caved in, peeled the drivers side front fender, cleaned out marker lamps and header panel, and cracked the windshield. My friend Bill snapped his rear driveshaft and cracked his windshield. I still can't believe we were able to pound the ball joints back in an get out of the woods.

Everything started out innocently enough:

Oops, whats wrong with this picture:

Not good:

Bill's driveshaft:

Ran into a wall of sand trying to get out in 2WD:

The video:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
And now the fix. But first a few more pics of the damage. Here's a good shot of the stub shaft clearly showing where the yoke yielded:

The broken windshield. Fender bent back into the corner:

And the rear door. This was the first damage of the day:

Lower ball joint partially pressed back in on the trail. I drove out with it like this:

And now to the repairs. Here's the replacement Moog ball joints. I did both sides:

Alloy axle shafts and Spicer 5-760x u-joints. These u-joints are about the strongest you can get for a D30 without going stupid expensive (and just plain stupid):

Thanks to club member Jeff for owning a real ball joint press. I can't imagine doing this job without it:

A good shot of where the knuckle got peened when the yoke snapped. This is why we could not get the ball joint all the way back in on the trail:

One of my favorite tools of all time comes to the rescue again:

Going back together:

Torquing the "spindle" nuts. Interestingly, the nuts were barely finger tight when when I took them off despite torquing them to 180 ft-lbs when I installed them last summer. Strange! Need to check them this time. Snapped my expensive torque wrench but the back-up came through:

Drank alot of these along the way:

All back together and shiny:

Next step is the body work. Here's the parts vehicle (thanks to John!):

Now lets git-r-done:

41 - 60 of 78 Posts