Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Oh, I also put reinstalled my front bumper cover and fog lights. I was tired of looking at it without it. I'm definitely a fan of having it on . I will, however, remove it when I go wheeling. Even with my trimming, I still rub pretty badly when I'm turning and flexing. I didn't have any issues with that at Bundy when I was there.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I got around to installing my JCR stage 3 sliders today. I used one of the breaker carts we have at work to get them installed. I think the total install time was roughly 2 hours. I don't think that was too bad.

I'm almost out of things to do now. I still have to finish my e-fan install (I've got the junction box all wired up with the relays, the switch installed inside, and the studying done). I'm also currently working with a fellow NWIJ member on a rear diff skid that's almost completed. My list of projects for it is almost gone. I'll have to think of something to spend some money on...

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
The sliders look good. I look forward to see ing the rear diff skid. Make sure to post pics.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Thanks! The skid is completed but its at my friend's house. He's going to be out of town for a couple of weeks for work so I won't have it for a couple weeks. I'll definitely post pics though when I get it on there.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Rear diff skid pics. It's not installed yet. 5/16" stainless.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I got the rear diff skid plate installed today.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I finally finished my e-fan today. It took a week of working on it for short periods of time at night. The box in the pic has the fan controller for low and the 70 amp relay for the high speed. I also got a nut for where the fan clutch used to be. For anyone who's curious, it's an M30 x 1.5. I had to special order it at Fastenal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your Jeep is identical to mine... accept 4wd. The BB looked damn good on it and now I'm going to do it to mine. Just for looks really. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Thanks man. The work is slowly coming to a stop. There are only a couple more things I want to do then it's done. I want to either fab or buy an engine skid for it and throw a TrueTrac carrier in my D30. After that, it'll be maintenance and repairs only. I've gotta show my car some love first though. It hasn't been molested in probably 2 years while I've been taking mad advantage of my ZJ.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
The skid looks nice and clean.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Thanks! I couldn't have done it without the help of a Jeep club member. I don't have the tools or the knowledge to fabricate like that. I designed it and he was able to get the stainless for super cheap, cut it, weld, it and everything else.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Even though I'm pretty against tinted tail lights, I got sick of looking at my ZJ with colored lights. Everything else is monochrome on it. I gave it a shot.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
On my last wheeling trip, my e-fan decided to die on me. That's the third time I've had issues with it since I've installed it. The Hayden fan controller died in traffic on the highway one time (luckily my high speed was good), my low speed failed to turn on while wheeling on New Year's this year (again, my high speed saved me), and the fan completely died on me at the Badlands at the beginning of this month. Three strikes and you're out. I have a new Omix Ada HD fan clutch installed with my mechanical fan. You can't beat the reliability of a mechanical fan...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nice Jeep....not sure if you had a Ford Taurus fan installed...did not go through all your build but your right nothing beats a mechanical as far as not failing. I have several jeeps with Ford fans and I bought my wiring kit from DC controls, comes complete with relays and takes about 30 mins to install and is adjustable with a temp switch, the guys stuff has never failed on me for a few years now. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Thanks! And yeah, I was running a Taurus fan. Honestly, I think the fan had issues to begin with. I bought it brand new thinking it'd be a better way to go. The Hayden fan controller wouldn't always turn the fan on when it needed to be on. I'd have to cycle to high then back to auto to get it to go, essentially giving it a "kick start". Eventually, that controller died, which was possibly related to the fan. I replaced it with a Derale controller and an extra relay because the Derale controller closed a ground circuit, which won't work with a two speed fan. That setup is pretty good for protecting the controller because it's not directly powering the fan. It still had the issue of having to "kick start" the fan to get the low speed to work. The fan finally completely took a dump and wouldn't even run in high without actually striking the motor with a blunt object. Because I let my wife drive it during the winter if it snows really badly and if we have her Terrain in for service, I need it to be ready to go. I can't have her overheating my 5.2, possibly leading to cracked heads or block damage.

Now, all I have to do is replace my condenser since she broke that at the Badlands... At least my AC system is already evacuated... But hey, she had fun and said she'd like to go back and do it again. I guess breaking the condenser was a good way to break her into wheeling. I've only been doing it for about 5 years now and that was the first time I was able to get her to go.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thats awesome, having a wife who likes to wheel...that makes the breakage well worth it then...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
It's all good until I explain to her how much I have to spend to fix what she broke. lol

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Well, a couple days ago, I got the sound system completely torn out. It was a lot easier to remove it than it was to install it. The speakers are directly powered by the head unit and are still active. Surprisingly, it doesn't sound nearly as bad as I expected. I'm not yearning for more, so I'm overall happy with the sound quality. I also installed my bumper, finally. I don't have any pictures yet. By the time I was done with my bumper and helping my buddy wire up his electric fan in his 79 Bronco, it was dark outside. I planned on getting a picture yesterday after work. I left the house at 4:30 AM and got thrown at an emergency job. I didn't get home until roughly 9:00 PM. Maybe I'll be able to get a pic or two today to post.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
It's been a while since I've last posted.

I have oil pressure again, after pulling the junkyard motor and rebuilding it. I had some pretty worn cam bearings that were more than likely the culprit. It now sits at about 18-20 psi at hot idle, which is about 3 times the factory minimum hot idle pressure of 6 psi, per the FSM.

I had my front differential rebuilt because I toasted the bearings in there due to lack of maintenance - shame on me.

Attached is a picture of my front bumper installed, since I never provided one after installing it.

Also attached, is a picture of my matching rear bumper installed, which I picked up back in September.

Attachments

141 - 159 of 159 Posts