Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
True true. Just not something I anticipated. Have to see what kinda deal I can get and what I can afford, and then go from there. We'll see what happens. Will have to pull them out and see what's up, but at this point, it looks like they're toast. Why the blew, no clue.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I swapped all 4 coils to IRO 3.5" lift coils, put in a full set of IRO fixed control arms, adjustable trackbars, JKS quicker discos, JKS barpin eliminators, Rough Country Nitro 9000 shocks, a Tenneco steering stabilizer, and i swapped those pita front upper control arm bushings that are pressed into the axle. It rides a lot better than my BB, but it needs an alignment for sure. I also had it up to 60 mph after the install on the highway and I did not experience any DW. I am somewhat disappointed in JKS though. They don't supply the Nylock nuts needed to install the disco retainers on the front skid plate. So, I have discos installed that I can't use because I have nowhere to fix them to for now.

Pics to come later. For now, picture a black ZJ with a 3.5" lift covered in snow and salt.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Stock I was sitting at 31 3/4" front and rear from the ground to the fender. With my BB, I was at 33 1/2" front and rear. Now, I'm just under 36" in the front and about 36 1/2" in the back. I need some bigger tires now... Maybe some 265/70/16s (31x10.5x16s)?

Here's a picture of it:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sweet! Can't wait until I can afford to get mine put in.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
It's really not that bad to do it yourself. My buddy has a nice little heater in his garage, a big compressor, an impact wrench, and an air hammer. Those were the main tools that he had that I don't have that made the job a lot easier. Everything is pretty much straight forward when installing it. If you're not afraid of losing a day to working on your Jeep, I'd say do it yourself. That way, you save the money and you have the right to say, "Yeah, I installed that."

·
Registered
302 Posts
I put the lift into my cherokee myself when I did it. This with the control arms is different though. Unfortunately where I am now my driveway is sloped and don't have access to air tools at all. Doing control arms with just hand tools could turn out to be a big problem to get in the middle of and have issues.
As for your question of the bushings of my control arms, I didn't and have never had an issue [been a year and a half now] although when I put the spacers in, I always drop the axles all the way down to do them, which may make a difference. Still need front springs though.

Not about to do anything much until spring anyways when it's warmed up. As it is, still trying to get a nice day when I'm off to do the last set of HID's on the rack, and have to rip out the front speakers and then bench test to confirm what I already suspect. Would have done ti this past weekend but was -20. Of course today it's 2 but it's raining and must go in to work. Fun never ends!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I shot this pic through my rain soaked front window yesterday. I thought it looked kinda cool.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, looks like no lift for me now. Jeep appears that it will be written off. Have to grab my stuff out of it, and rip out my stereo and radios today. Will have to do the roofrack and wiring probably saturday. Not a good day =( watch out for people who shouldn't be ever given a license.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Man, that sucks. Hopefully things go through for you with that WJ.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I know. Have to get my *** out of bed now and go grab my stuff out of it, and pull the amps and radios, and the subs and rear sound bar w/speakers that have the new ones I put in. Going to call my insurance company and give them the info on what's what with everything, and that I'll have to go back tomorrow if it's not too bad weather wise or next week to pull my antennas and wiring for the radios and the roof rack. Just hope I get a fair settlement so I can get the WJ, enough for taxes and new brakes/tires. Will have to redo all the lighting again. ARGH!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Was your ZJ a Niner? I know you said you had the Niner trim but did you just get most of the trim pieces? I might be interested in buying some of them off you if you want to pull some.

·
Registered
302 Posts
No, it was a I6 Laredo with a lot of upgrades to begin with. I just took it to the next level. Got my stuff out of the jeep, pulled the amps and subs out. Will probably take the new memphis speakers if I can and my hella horns. The rack and cb antenna they already know I'm going to pull which is fine. Other than that not sure what I'm allowed to keep or take. Have to wait until it's looked at by the. A it stands right now, the one louvre is toast, and the grill has damage. I do however have a second set of the shifters still though. I should know more by tuesday, but we'll see. Hate the waiting game. I need at minimum $5k to get the wj, new duratracs and parts to start to retrofit the lights. I really want $6k at least with all I have into. We shall see. Had a talk with the guy at my insurance company. Just said I'm not trying to get more than I deserve or trying to be greedy, I just want whats fair, and want to be able to replace it with something comparable to what I had. We shall see. The WJ is a 2000, with 169000km on the odometer, new rad, fan, engine and tranny. Nees some tires and TLC. Not sure how I'll be able to put my head unit and scanner in. Can't remember if it can take a double din or not.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I'm pretty sure a WJ uses a 1 1/2 din, like the ZJ. That was a size that Chrysler and GM thought was incredible for some reason.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, doesn't that just blow. I want to permenently mount the scanner but where is the question. On the ZJ it was easy. Move the HVAC down, remove the information useless crap and done. Guess will just have to see. Need to find out how to run the stereo wiring as well to get that setup. ***** is the weather is damn cold last while. Might have to see my stereo place I go to and what they'd charge to wire it up for me possibly. Will see. Depends on how much I get from the insurance as well. I just hope it goes well and don't get screwed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Good luck. I hope it all pans out for you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, replaced rear door speakers, and dash speakers with component tweeters. It's a start. Still have to put the memphis in the front doors but will hold off for now. Once I get the double din kit will get everything wired up and installed. Have everything else needed, although antenna mounts will be custom done. Not about to drill through the roof to mount at all.

Got the new retrofit lights almost done. Just have to seal them up, then do the wiring and put them in. Can't wait! Went with quad FX-R 1.1's. Look really good! Just don't like the look of only one done is why. Doesn't look finished to me. Once it warms up can put the lift in. Need to save up for new tires though. Hopefully this summer can get. Going Duratracs again of course!

How's things with your rig?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Other than my draglink and trackbar hitting each other, and needing new tires, and needing to swap my 242 in that's been sitting in my garage for a month now, fine. Lol.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I know what ya mean. Always something that needs doing! Track bar end on drivers side I need to replace in the very near future as it's worn. Need to do it before the 2" lift goes in as it'll put more strain on it, and then get it aligned. Need tires this summer as well. Will definitely be going duratracs again, but trying to find a good price. That's a whole other ballgame. Can't wait to get the entire radios/stereo setup up in though. Just waiting for the double din kit and can get it done. I'm missing my bass!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Is there a double sheer trackbar conversion for WJs? I'd recommend it if there is. Mine is awesome. It gets rid of the TRE style end and allows for more articulation.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't know. not sure what's all available for the WJ's, but I'm slowly learning as I go.

101 - 120 of 159 Posts