Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I own a Canadian 95 Grand Cherokee Limited. [smilie=1zj2 (1).gif] Here is my problem. My headlights won't turn off. The only way to turn them off is to pull the 30amp fuse in the Power Distribution Box under the hood. A mechanic told me that the problem is most likely the DRL module and that unplugging it should fix the problem. The problem is that I can't find the DRL. I think the "Limited" model must come with some kind of Romulan Cloaking Device. ;) I have checked under/around/in/beside the Power Distribution box and can not find the stinking thing. Can someone please give me a good description of what/where I should be looking for. Please use small words of no more than 2 or 3 syllables as I am a vehicle idiot. :) Pretty pictures also work for me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
DLR

The Daytime Running Light Module is what you are referring to. Not equipped with those in the states. The FSM indicates it located at the bottom of the PDC.
56007501 is the orginal part number to 4886250AA and then 4886250AB. Fits 94 and 95 models.
Small square-ish box with a few wires plugging into it.
It's on the front side of the PDC where the mounting bracket bolts to the body with 2 bolts. It protrudes a little past the PDC towards the engine. You might have to move the battery to see it. It mounts to the PDC bracket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!! I will look one more time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I found where the module is SUPPOSED to be but of course isn't. Could someone please describe exactly what the module looks like and maybe suggest other places to look?

·
Registered
177 Posts
This was done for another thread but it has a pic of the DRL module and shows the approximate location on a PDC bracket that is removed from the ZJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I looked all around the PDB and there is no relay anywhere close to it. I also went to a local scrap yard that had the exact same Jeep there (year/make) and we took that engine compartment apart. We removed the PDB, nothing. We even removed the battery tray to see if it was hiding there. Nothing. Same with the water and Windshield wiper fluid reservoirs. Nothing. I think I will have to bite the bullet and pay the local dealership $108/hr to find it for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success!!!

I finally found the mythical DRL Module. It was mounted on the top side of a horizontal metal plate under the dash just up and to the left of the brake petal. I had to remove the corner dash cover to get to it. Even knowing where it was, I had a hard time finding it. Because it is mounted on the TOP side of the metal plate, unless you have a mirror you can't see it. On the bright side, it is easy to remove. Once you have the lower corner dash piece removed, the DRL is held onto the metal plate by two black Phillips head screws from the bottom of the plate. All I had to do was remove those screws and pull on the wires towards the firewall until the DRL fell off the plate. Once I unplugged it, all my problems were solved. :p Oh and it's a white plastic box about the size of a standard pack of playing cards.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just a little more info, just incase, there are a few more relays under the glove box encloser. You have to remove the glove box door and I think 2-3 more screws to gain access. I know ur turn signal flasher is in there plus a few more.

--Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
drl module

Well, I looked all around the PDB and there is no relay anywhere close to it. I also went to a local scrap yard that had the exact same Jeep there (year/make) and we took that engine compartment apart. We removed the PDB, nothing. We even removed the battery tray to see if it was hiding there. Nothing. Same with the water and Windshield wiper fluid reservoirs. Nothing. I think I will have to bite the bullet and pay the local dealership $108/hr to find it for me.
The DRL MODULE for 94 and 95 is under and to the left of the steering
column behind a dash cover and then behind and on top of a metal plate ,
there are 2 screws that hold it to the plate that can be taken out form the
bottom then it is just a matter of turning it just right to get it out of the
wiring that is also there then unplug. Dealer also included bad news that
it was deleted from production for our two years I just completed this
task dec.9/2011, the part no. is 56007501

·
Registered
837 Posts
The DRL MODULE for 94 and 95 is under and to the left of the steering
column behind a dash cover and then behind and on top of a metal plate ,
there are 2 screws that hold it to the plate that can be taken out form the
bottom then it is just a matter of turning it just right to get it out of the
wiring that is also there then unplug. Dealer also included bad news that
it was deleted from production for our two years I just completed this
task dec.9/2011, the part no. is 56007501
Did you not see that the OP solved his issue?... 4 years ago! What's with all the newbies bringing back dead threads lately!?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you not see that the OP solved his issue?... 4 years ago! What's with all the newbies bringing back dead threads lately!?
No I DID NOT , I am really sorry for trying to be helpfull, I will
never do it again and if you are an example of the people on this
forum , I prefer to opt out ysah

·
Registered
837 Posts
No I DID NOT , I am really sorry for trying to be helpfull, I will
never do it again and if you are an example of the people on this
forum , I prefer to opt out ysah
LOL! All I'm saying is people need to pay more attention to the age of a thread and whether it's relevant to bring it back... Especially if it's already been answered years ago. Another thing people need to do, is search, search, search! Old threads and 20 people asking the same question that has been already answered 40 times over the the past few years, just adds to the clutter on the site. Sooooo.... If you're going to contribute, just use your head. If you're going to be a baby about this, well, you won't be missed.

Oh, and if you think I'm beating you up.... Try visiting Mallcrawlin' or Pirate 4x4!

·
Registered
3 Posts
LOL! All I'm saying is people need to pay more attention to the age of a thread and whether it's relevant to bring it back... Especially if it's already been answered years ago. Another thing people need to do, is search, search, search! Old threads and 20 people asking the same question that has been already answered 40 times over the the past few years, just adds to the clutter on the site. Sooooo.... If you're going to contribute, just use your head. If you're going to be a baby about this, well, you won't be missed.

Oh, and if you think I'm beating you up.... Try visiting Mallcrawlin' or Pirate 4x4!
Maybe you should redirect your rant at the association for continueing to show
4 year old threads when all they have to do is show the question and the
CORRECT ANSWER to the question. You as a senior member should have the
pull so that YOUR site is not cluttered up with useless banter as you say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts