Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new to us 2001 WJ Grand Cherokee that we bought last month didn't have a functioning radio in it. Since this Jeep will likely be our daily driver for a while, I opted to install a Kenwood DMX-7706S with Apple CarPlay and the Android variant as well. This unit does not have a CD or DVD player, so it is only a few inches deep, however, it is not a direct bolt-in no matter what the folks at Best Buy may try to tell you. The Metra fascia kit will only get you so far.

Unfortunately, I didn't do a full detailed install with pictures. Looking back, I wish I had, but it is what it is. The cavity opening for the radio needs to be enlarged and a Dremmel with a cutting wheel was great for this. The under dash area is plastic which made for easy cutting.

I also had to cut the plastic welds that held the air vents into the factory Jeep fascia to reuse them with the Metra kit. To ensure my vents remained attached to the Metra fascia, I epoxied the vent assembly to the inside of the Metra fascia. The Metra wire harness kit was also used to connect the unit to the Jeep's wire harness.

The unit itself is a touch-screen and utilizes the navigation app on my phone, which is handy when my wife has an appointment someplace we aren't familiar with. It can either run through Bluetooth or through a USB cable that is attached to the back of the unit. I ran the cord down behind the dash and under the center console. I have a flush mount USB port on the way which I'm going to mount in the console, for a clean look. It just hasn't arrived yet.

There is also a microphone to use the phone in hands-free mode or to utilize functions like Siri or talk-to-text. I mounted this on my steering column, near the gauge cluster.

I did record some mid-install video that I'll get up on YouTube once I get it put together.

This is the end result, minus the flush mount USB port.

-Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Purcell, that looks really good!

How long did it take to do that, start to finish?

I'm considering for my 2000 GC, but think a single DIN with flip up screen would be much easier to accomplish, but if yours didn't take too long I might consider it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a single DIN flip up screen unit that plays CDs and has USB power & control, along with Bluetooth? (I'd like multiple Bluetooth syncing.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purcell, that looks really good!

How long did it take to do that, start to finish?

I'm considering for my 2000 GC, but think a single DIN with flip up screen would be much easier to accomplish, but if yours didn't take too long I might consider it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a single DIN flip up screen unit that plays CDs and has USB power & control, along with Bluetooth? (I'd like multiple Bluetooth syncing.)
Thank you. Not counting curing time for the JB Weld to ensure the vents stay in the new fascia, about 2 hours, including soldering the Kenwood harness to the Jeep adapter.

Since this unit doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, it's only about 4" deep, which made it easier to trim back the under-dash plastic. Some careful work with a Dremel tool or a saw blade can open things up under the dash for the added depth if you want the option of a CD drive.

The Metra fascia was a bit pricey for what it is, but it made the install look clean and factory, so in my mind, it is money well spent. Just take your time and plan on the extras like the Metra harness adapter and the fascia kit. I don't know what other kits are our there, but I doubt Metra is the only supplier.

-Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice upgrade! Where did you get the Metra kit?
Thanks. I really like the way it functions and looks.

I bought the Metra kit through BestBuy.com I had it shipped to the house. It's not a direct drop in. You will need to remove your air vents from the existing dash bezel and install them on to the Metra bezel, but the end result makes the install look factory, which is what I was after.

-Joe

·
Registered
Jeep grand Cherokee limited edition 2015
10 Posts
I like Joying car audio from China, it's really fast and has good sound. Also you can install model with display bigger than dash
Vehicle Car Steering part Steering wheel Radio

What do you think about this design? Is it looks like village tuning?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts