Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.0L, NP249, Dana 30, Dana 35
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this really awful noise coming from the front driveshaft/transfer case area. I can just barely wiggle the double cardan joint. The part of the driveshaft that goes into the transfer case doesn't wiggle and doesn't move in and out. I've attached some videos of the noise. Does this sound like the double cardan joint or a bearing inside the transfer case? Maybe something entirely different? I also get a constant humming noise inside the cabin as I pick up speed, not sure if it's related. Let me know what you all think!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I replaced the u joints and centering yoke in the double cardan joint and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I almost forgot. Just for the sake of putting the information out there. I have the front driveshaft with the CV boot going to the front diff. I bought two non-greaseable Spicer 5-1310X u joints (used copper snap rings when installing), non-greaseable Spicer 211544X centering yoke, and Spicer 2-86-418 rubber boot. I ordered from Denny's Driveshafts. My order was over $99 so it qualified for free shipping and the parts arrived within 3 days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts