Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of modifyng a 5.9, and was reading about that the towing capacity was less than that of the 5.2 mainly because the 5.9 has two electric fans that doesn't cool the radiator as well as the mechanical fan on the 5.2. Is it true? the 5.2's main use is for sand dunes and these are very long (about 100 ft. the longest) and almost all that attempt it overheat the engine. That's most severe on underpowered vehicles, because they have to climb it even in 1st gear low range for about 5 minutes or more at about 6000 rpm!! (suzukis)
Do you think i could have those problems, or better start with a 5.2 engine?
P.D: the 5.9 is gonna be modified (heads, blower, etc) so the overheating factor is raised.

·
Registered
671 Posts
i would suggest putting the largest, best radiator in there you can find. even w/ a new oem replacement, my 5.2 still runs hot during the summer w/ the air on, especially when sitting at idle. when selecting fans, be sure to play careful attention to the cfm rating and to have plenty of electrical power to run them. if you are using electric fans, there is also the option to use pusher and puller fans. on the grand tech page there is an article that shows how to install vents in the hood. this would probably be a good idea, if you are planning to run a hood. good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One other thing you might consider is a cooler thermostat. I run a 180* in my I6 that keeps it much cooler, vehicle runs a little better too.
In a 5.9 I'd run a 160* from all the concerns I hear about keeping them cool. Plus if possible a better after market radiator, a pusher fan in front of the radiator, and if they have them a good belt driven fan. If that doesn't keep it cool, I don't know what to tell you. Other people may have better ideas.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi PATO...I installed a large tranny-oil cooler Under my truck where it was safe. I then cut both heater hoses. I put a "T" fitting in each hose and connected them to the cooler. Now the truck runs about 10 degs. cooler. Some people add a little fan to the cooler to loose about another 5 degs.. If you just turn on your heater/defroster you will also loose 5 or 10 degs. Also try to reduce the load being carried in the truck......Good Luck....Don S ...wax..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts