Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

So I just sold my 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited (Inline 6) and bought myself a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7 V8 with 130,000km. The more I read about these engines the more buyer's remorse I get. I keep on hearing about how these engines are lemons and have tons of issues. Am I in for a world of hurt with this Jeep? Especially considering I pretty much had zero issues with the Inline 6?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So far I have 170,000 KM's on mine (4.7, 2004)and no real issues. Only thing so far with the engine was a blown valve gasket. Not so good on gas, but then why drive a jeep ;) I have replaced the TPS and IAC on it. Next thing will likey be the brake pads and rotors as they are getting thin, but other than that it has been solid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Columbia Edition with the V8 4.7L High Output engine in it. Like the other guy said it is not so great on gas mileage but if you needed to pull something it can pull about as much as a truck depending on what hitch you put on (class 3 or 4). But I will tell you that having the V8 is nice. More power to get out of difficult places and it will also haul *** down the road. From experience I can peg the speedometer with little issue, but of course I don't recommend doing that.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2005 GC Laredo wit the 4.7l V8. Engine has had a few issues-biggest one being two of the cylinders were misfiring /not firing and the horrific mechanics at the stealership couldn't figure it out. Seems that unless it throws a code, these mechanics have no clue about troubleshooting. Only until I insisted that the service manager take the car home and commute with it did he realize what I was talking about.
When she runs, she runs strong and gets about 17.5mpg average with ac running.

I never had any issues with my 97 Cherokee Sport with the V6- ran like a top with 90k on it until I traded it in for this one .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2005 GC Laredo wit the 4.7l V8. Engine has had a few issues-biggest one being two of the cylinders were misfiring /not firing and the horrific mechanics at the stealership couldn't figure it out. Seems that unless it throws a code, these mechanics have no clue about troubleshooting. Only until I insisted that the service manager take the car home and commute with it did he realize what I was talking about.
When she runs, she runs strong and gets about 17.5mpg average with ac running.

I never had any issues with my 97 Cherokee Sport with the V6- ran like a top with 90k on it until I traded it in for this one .
The 97 Cherokee, I'm asuming you mean a box Cherokee, had an inline 6 4.0 not a V6. It was the only engine option. That means there was no option, no V6.

·
Registered
88 Posts
you're never going to find a jeep motor with less issues than the 4.0 IMHO. that being said, I believe most of the horror stories about the 4.7l go along with the post reddijet mentioned. Bad dealership service along with motor issues. I have the 4.7l in my ram and it throws a code here or there but no major issues. you listed it has 130,000km, are you off US soil? If so may run into a parts problem as well, regardless, enjoy V8, beef it up, and just know some things will break, it is a jeep, we all break down from time to time. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know that this thread is a bit old but I thought I would toss my 2 cents worth in. I have a 05 Grand with the 4.7. This is a different motor then the 04. The 04 was a lot better and even had 30 more hp. The 05 and up is a Mercedes Throw away, meaning that this motor was built by Mercedes and it did not live up to their Warranty requirements. They have very small oil ventures. If they over heat like if the water pump fails then the heads and block crack pretty easy. I am now running on my 2nd motor. I did not know about these things till I started looking around for rebuilds. No one wants to rebuild them. No one really makes any performance parts for them either. They did have a super charger at one point but stopped because the top ring is too close to the top of the piston. The SC would cause piston failure pretty quick. From what I have read, the 05+ 4.7 is prone to early spark detonation too. The specs read as follows,(NOTE: The 4.7l V-8 engine is equipped with copper core ground electrode spark plugs. They must be replaced with the same type or pre-ignition will result. Even with the Champion 439’s in my new motor I am getting a knock error code once in a while. If I were to do it all over again I would get the Hemi hands down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, it's a great engine, but if you care about fuel economy, then it isn't for you, but the engine is powerful, I have it in my 2005.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know that this thread is a bit old but I thought I would toss my 2 cents worth in. I have a 05 Grand with the 4.7. This is a different motor then the 04. The 04 was a lot better and even had 30 more hp. The 05 and up is a Mercedes Throw away, meaning that this motor was built by Mercedes and it did not live up to their Warranty requirements. They have very small oil ventures. If they over heat like if the water pump fails then the heads and block crack pretty easy. I am now running on my 2nd motor. I did not know about these things till I started looking around for rebuilds. No one wants to rebuild them. No one really makes any performance parts for them either. They did have a super charger at one point but stopped because the top ring is too close to the top of the piston. The SC would cause piston failure pretty quick. From what I have read, the 05+ 4.7 is prone to early spark detonation too. The specs read as follows,(NOTE: The 4.7l V-8 engine is equipped with copper core ground electrode spark plugs. They must be replaced with the same type or pre-ignition will result. Even with the Champion 439’s in my new motor I am getting a knock error code once in a while. If I were to do it all over again I would get the Hemi hands down.
Mercedes never built any 4.7's, the only engine they built in a GC was the CRD engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Show me any motor that will not overheat when the water pump fails :confused: If you don't cut the engine immediately, any motor is prone to head damahe as well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
2000 GC LTD
I'm at 345,000 km's I still get down to 12.1 average liters per 100kms ( on hwy ) with my 4.7L
starts great
runs great
no issues
I'm shooting for 500,000 kms on her

routine maintenance is key!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The 97 Cherokee, I'm asuming you mean a box Cherokee, had an inline 6 4.0 not a V6. It was the only engine option. That means there was no option, no V6.
Actually, you could buy an XJ with a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The 4.7 is one of the most problematic engines ever put in a Jeep, there are many in the classifieds with blown motors.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
If not properly maintained, I wouldn't expect much more than 150k out of a 4.7 engine. That said, they can also last a very long time. I would be more worried about overheating a 4.7 than a 4.0, but I would never be satisfied with the low power output of the straight 6 (unless it were stroked).

I have the 4.7 and will replace it if needed. I know I am hard on the vehicle, and at 140k don't know how long mine will actually last. That said, a friend of mine has an equally modded 99 grand and has 245k on his stock engine and transmission. If I can get 200 k out of mine, I would be VERY happy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If not properly maintained, I wouldn't expect much more than 150k out of a 4.7 engine. That said, they can also last a very long time. I would be more worried about overheating a 4.7 than a 4.0, but I would never be satisfied with the low power output of the straight 6 (unless it were stroked).

I have the 4.7 and will replace it if needed. I know I am hard on the vehicle, and at 140k don't know how long mine will actually last. That said, a friend of mine has an equally modded 99 grand and has 245k on his stock engine and transmission. If I can get 200 k out of mine, I would be VERY happy.
exactly like I said earlier maintain!!
345,000km and running strong!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I have a 2001 with the 4.7L and am very pleased with it. I haven't had any major problems with it and I'm reaching 135k miles. I most definitely agree with Birdman, good maintenance is key. I use a full synthetic oil, pair it with Lucas oil stabilizer, and use a good quality oil filter. I change the oil every 5000 miles although I could easily go 7000+.

Another thing I think is key is watching/listening for things to wear out and replacing them BEFORE they cause a breakdown. If you notice your idle is rough or power seems to be lacking, don't wait, start investigating. The sooner you find wearing parts the sooner they are replaced before causing a more serious issue. Every time I change the oil, I send it in to Blackstone Labs to have it analyzed. They send me back a report that tells me what contaminates were in the oil, what the probable source is, and whether the amount is normal or abnormal. This gives me clues into what components may be worn or wearing too fast.

I've done modifications and on a flat highway I'll can get 25+ MPG. City MPG or mountain MPG is a different story....

·
Registered
222 Posts
just about to turn 350,000 kms still running strong

350,000 kilometers = 217 479.917 28 miles

cheers

·
Registered
222 Posts
just turned 427,000 kms!!
427 000 kilometer = 265 325.499 09 mile
on my 4.7L

misfire: toss a OBDII reader on it. does it give you a specific cylinder??
- bad plug
- bad coil
I also have in the past found that the shield on the coil to prevent water or moisture down around the plug goes bad. if it does water can get around the plug thus causing a misfire. I got a #4 misfire on my reader so pulled the coil on it and it was wet, so blew compressed air down the hole and a WHOLE bunch of crap came outta there, water debris ect...
also instapped a new TPS & IAC. if you don't want to swap new ones in I STRONGLY suggest taking out the IAC and cleaning it. I 100% bet it is all carboned up from your misfiring.

cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts