Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 2001 GCL new in May. Within 900 miles I had bearing problems in differential. They have been replaced three times now and sound like they are on their way out again. Any suggestions? Dealer just keeps replacing them. He acts like because it is under waaranty that it isn't costing me anything, so what is the problem? He doesn't consider MY time....cost of rental car (no loaners), etc. HELP ....I need some ammunition for my next "visit". Anyone know anything about the Lemon law in Ct? Thanks for any help. Mona

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had a similar problem with my WJ and the second time they replaced the entire axle assmebly under warrnty and no problems since. FYI I have several marks on the bottom of my Jeep from off roading and was worried they might void my warranty and the Jeep guy said they are used to it and unless a drive line part is cracked or dented I should not have any one void my warranty. Keith

·
Registered
290 Posts
My '99 Q-drive had the diff. out 3 times(the gyropump/LSD wasn't working plus noise) then the 4th time they replaced housing and all.Two months later the outer rh bearing cracked + wiped out the seal(good), so they R+R bearing+seal. In all cases I had free car but a. I had to push litely, b. I bought the wj at that dealer. and c. I live 45 miles from the dealer.CRYsler has been good warr.+ free car. I've only put bout 2000 mi. last work and none of it on the rocks. I hate to love. G.LUCK

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My understanding that one of the porblems with the d44A rear, is that the aluminum pumpkins isn't strong enough to support the vehicle when the rear is jacked up by it. The tubes then distort the pumpkin and that is one of the reasons why the bearing continue to fail.

I would push for an entire new rear axle assembly if I were you.

Jay

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mona.... JayH is correct. I called Trac=Tec & A.R.B. a year ago and both said the Dana 44 housings in the the '99 WJ "Quadra-Drive" models were too wimpy and they would NOT build lockers for it.Free rent car trick # 1... Tell the dealer that the Jeep dealer down the street has free cars. And better yet go see the dealer down the street. In the D-FW area some dealers want the warranty work. I have heard the 44s in some late TJs were not very good. sure hope you have another dealer close by good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, guys, after replacing bearings,etc. 4 times ( actually 5 on come), dealer said " Time to contact the regional rep......we don't know what else to do". I have gathered up all my info, telephone conversations, service papers, maintentance records, etc. on this 2001 piece of CHRYSLER and arranged them very neatly and clearly and will present them to the rep. I definitely want my $$$$$$$$ back.......have started the arbitration process and next will be LEMON. The real scarry thing now is that after picking up the vehicle the last time, it sounded OK to me, however the dealer said it still is NOT right. I am going to also press the safety issue........what happens if a bearing self distructs while I am driving????????.........I lose an axle and a wheel???????

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi Mona... Giv'um.....Hope you look at the e-mail photo...It's now on Grand photos pg #55. Your Dealer is sure different 'bout handling this mess than mine. Good qualified people must be hiding out. It's possible to lock-up a wheel if the brg. crunches, but if you crash be sure it's into the dealerships plate glass windows!! We still love to drive ours...we'er wish'n you good luck an post me ..how it turns out.. I would continue to drive it ..My .02 Pesos worth...Don and Doris...

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Well, the carrier bearings are tapered roller bearings that ride inside a tapered race. It would be difficult (i'd say next to impossible,) for them to fail and cause such a catastrophe.

I don't know what the outer bearing configuration is, but if it's anything like a standard 44, you might develop some serious wobble if the bearing fails, but not as dangerous as you might imagine.

Good luck in your endeavours

Jay

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks Jay I wasn't to sure about safty. The axle tubes look like ...almost like haydite[sic],cinder-block but sightly smoother(not steel). I heard the factory had a fall-out with Dana Spicer, Altec.. or what ever. It will be hard to trust the new Dana as I do my old ones....thanks again .. Don S..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi Ben M.... you are correct but this Jeep drives on or off road the we would have designed it (YA 31s be nice)..It's just a few parts "arn't tuff'nuff to do the stuff" and THATS 'cause of the EPA.:eek:.......:Smile......Don S..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts