Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If So What Years ? And I have a 1996 And I Am Wondering How hard it Would Be To Transfer To A 5 Speed Manual ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I once heard a rhumor, that in the first production year of the grand cherokee(ZJ) 1993 are small number of Grand Cherokees were built with a five spd. I have been looking and looking and never actually saw one, and in truth, it was only a rhumor. I would love to swap in a five speed in my 5.9 but it does seem like it would be a costly and time consuming project, but how much fun would that be! I waited almost five years before I actually bit the bullet and baught the grand cherokee I have always wanted, and the only reason I waited so long was because I couldn't handle driving an automatic. anyway, let me know if any of you have any info on swapping auto for stick... would love to do it to my ZJ!
Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was right... they did make a ZJ in 93 only that had a 5 spd. I was just looking through e-bay and I found an ax-15 5 spd transmission that was built for a 93 ZJ. if you are interested go to ebay and look up item #1813307542
:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have seen one of these. Actually only half of one. It was a wreck in a junkyard. No tranny in it but it had a clutch pedal. Not sure what year it was but it looked to be in the 93-95 range.

T

·
0 Posts
I saw one in Oregon, at a gas station. I didn't realize what it was until the guy pulled out and I heard him upshift as he ripped a hole in the traffic stream. Been looking ever since and haven't seen any.
Chuck R.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
:hammer:

Next obstacle is the output shaft on a Dodge transmission is most likely going to have a different output shaft. There were lots of different used as follows: :gears: 21, 23, 29 and 31 spline output shafts. :eek2: You will need to changed the input gear to accept the transmission to the Transfer Case.

Now that you have those two challenges conquered you will need to locate a 93-94 GC that you can get the foot pedal assembly off of. That could easily become the most difficult part of this job. :coocoo:

Food for thought :wave:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Grand Pooh-Bah on 2002-04-05 15:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well...Eeerrrr....Thanks but I just became a very satisfided automatic type cat. Really the trails I drive in Colorado the Autos are best for me and i've noticed some trail buddies are switching to them...and they used to giggle at me....."A real man has three sticks on the floor"...Mine are tooth-picks.... thanks ...Don S..

·
Registered
3 Posts
5-speed manual zj

I know this is an old thread, but I have a '94 ZJ 4.0 with factory 5-speed. See my profile for pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have a '94 ZJ 4.0 with factory 5-speed. See my profile for pictures.
They only made a few US-market Grand Cherokees with manuals during the early production phase of the 1993s. I was told they quit installing the stick transmission back then because of a shortage caused by it's popularity in the Dodge Dakota pickup.

In early 1994, I bought a new 1993 Grand Cherokee 4x4. It was white with the 4.0L I6 and had a manual 5 speed transmission. I was living in Tucson AZ at the time and located one still sitting on a dealer lot in Murray, UT. The other rare thing about that one was that it had a red-colored interior. Other than the one I owned, I never saw another manual trans GC, nor one with a red interior.

Of all the many vehicles I have owned over the years, that's the one I'd most like to have back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts